Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Took wrong pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Took wrong pill?
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zalmentra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone
I'm currently taking the BC pill Levlen ED and am at the end of my 5th pack. Yesterday I took the first of my placebo pills. But this morning (I take my pill at 6am, and it's really dark in the mornings!) I accidentally took the first of the real pills which was meant for after the placebo week.
What do I do now?? Is my protection severely affected? Should I keep taking my placebos or start the next pack now?
Help!

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you took a pill from the new pack rather than continuing with the old pack?

Either way, Your protection isn't afected at all.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zalmentra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way it worked out for me is that the last pill on the pack is actually the first real pill (sorry, not sure what to call it other than "real"). So that's the one I took, rather than another placebo. I don't know how to explain it too well without a picture of my pill pack, which I don't believe I am allowed to post?

Should I continue to take the placebo pills then? Or start taking the rest of the next cycle of real pills?

[ 06-02-2012, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: zalmentra ]

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI There,

I'm not actually sure what the best thing for you to do is in this situation. One thing you could do is call a pharmacist and ask.

You could go ahead and continue to take the active pills from your next pack. This would mean that you'd miss your withdrawal bleed for this month. Many people do skip their placebo week on purpose to do this, so it's certainly an option.

Thing is that if you go back to taking the placebo pills then start the new pack you won't be taking the complete cycle as you'll be short one pill. This could reduce it's effectiveness in which case you'd want to use a back-up method of birth control.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zalmentra
Neophyte
Member # 77859

Thanks robin [Smile]
I decided to go ahead and take the rest of the active pills. I will be using a back up method for the rest of this cycle, just to be sure.
And if my not getting a withdrawal bleed stresses me out too much, I guess I could always just grab a pregnancy test to set my mind at ease [Smile]
Thanks for your help.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.