Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » general info.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: general info.
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anxiousalways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a quick question.would a hot shower kill any pre-ejaculate or sperm? Im asking because yesterday my boyfriend and i had sex but he had a shower literally right before it (im not sure if he used body was etc, was just a quick rinse in hot water). I assume the hot water and towel drying after would have killed any sperm that might have been there. it's just that when I was putting on the condom, i know that my hand touched his penis(not the tip) and then put on the condom. Just wanted to check that there wouldnt be any risk because I assume that the quick rinse in the shower would have killed anything that was on the penis (not yhe tip)?
I'm just wondering, in general, if, when you are rolling down the condom and ypur finger slips off and touches somewhere on the penis, (somewhere that isnt the tip though, that would already be covered by the condom,) and then touched the condom, is that considered a risk?
And in general? if you were worried that sperm was on something, what is sufficient to kill it? a whipe,hand sanitiser? or washing, with or without soap?
sorry for the long question, just had a few things i wanted to ask about.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you check in with this first: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/006958.html

The reason why I want you to is to recognize that a good deal of what you're asking here just really isn't relevant to any pregnancy risks. In other words, if for any genital contact -- genital-to-genital -- your partner was wearing a condom and it was used properly, you have reduced your risks, so what hot water can or can't do doesn't matter because there wouldn't have been the kind of contact unprotected that could pose a risk.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anxiousalways     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that link, I have read some of the articles before. I just always over think and analyze things. I understand that the condom was fine for the genital to genital contact. I just wanted to check that, the shower would have killed any sperm that may have been on the penis(not the tip) and therefore would not have gone from my hand to the condom and therefore then inside my vagina?
I'm sorry if it's a really stupid question.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a stupid question, but that isn't the way pregnancy happens. When it comes to pregnancy risks, the possible transfer of semen from place to place to place like you're describing isn't an issue: that kind of situation doesn't pose a risk. Even if there had been a few sperm on your partner's penis that got transferred to the outside of the condom, they wouldn't have been viable anymore, because sperm need the ejaculate they're in and very specific conditions to survive and create pregnancy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

oh okay thanks very much,and with that, how short a time it happened in wouldnt matter either,( as in going from penis to hand to condom to vagina may only take a min ot two) its the fact that there was transfer, from hand to condom etc, that means any sperm that may have been there would have no longer been viable to cause a pregnancy.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

Thank you very much [Smile]
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

lastly, just wanted to check because its something i have wondered. If you were ever worried that any pre-ejaculate got around my boyfriends pubic area or lower abdomen before you put on the condom. if you were worried that during sex at some stage the penis(with the condom on it), touched off an area you were worried had pre ejaculate on it, and then continued having sex. is this still considered transfer that is not a risk because it would have been pre ejaculate that went from penis to abdomen to condom to vagina. Sorry for the question, this is just something ive always wondered. thanks for any reply [Smile]
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That amount of transfer, and the time lapse between the transfers, make this scenario a non-issue in terms of pregnancy risk. Remember: It's direct contact you need to consider, and proper condom use--from start to finish of any genital contact--- means that there is no direct contact.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

ok thanks, so my situation is not a risk. so proper condom use is just once it is on for all genital contact, you dont have to worry about the transfer of pre-ejaculate from place to place to the condom etc?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of pregnancy risks, no. In terms of STI transmission it's something you'd want to be aware of.

I'm a little unclear though on the type of transfer you're talking about.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

i just mean the transfer that i talked about in the previous comment, eg pre ejaculate that may be on boyfriend's pubic area before putting on the condom and if the penis(with condom on) touched off that area then during sex and then you continued having sex. but you already said that this isnt a risk in terms of pregnancy so i won't worry about this. i'm on the pill and always use condoms... its just the transfer that pre ejaculate that i worry about really, but I believe transfer of pre ejauclate isn't a risk unless its actually genital to genital contact with a condom on?
anxiousalways
Neophyte
Member # 95652

that last sentence is meant to be * without a condom on
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Yep, it's genital-genital contact you need to be concerned about in terms of pregnancy risks. Transferring small amounts of pre-ejaculate from place to place to place does not create a risk.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.