Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Can't decide on a BC method

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't decide on a BC method
Mi
Neophyte
Member # 95865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on the pill for about a year and half straight now. I'm kinda tired of having to remember to take a pill everyday at a certain time.

I started on the pill when I was a teenager up until I was 20-ish. Then I tried the depo provera shot. I only got it that first time. While I was on that I got REALLY depressed. Also my period stopped(expected) but I still had awful cramping on the week I should have gotten my period. Then I went off all hormonal birth control for a year to let my body even out after that. My period and body were still a little funky after that. Now I'm back on the pill.

I don't mind using condoms. But I want a back up birth control besides condoms. I do not want to have a child right now or anytime soon. I'm kinda leaning towards the implant. I'm just a little worried about depression and mood swings.

Posts: 5 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mi,

Since the implant has to be inserted by a doctor, what do you think about making an appointment with a doctor so the two of you can explore all your options, keeping your history in mind. When you had the depression before, did you talk to a doctor about that to determine if it was from the shot or not? Sometimes, it's hard to tell, and yes, it's definitely not fun being depressed.

The implant would relieve you of having to remember your birth control every day. One implant is good for up to three years. The implant secretes the hormone progestin, which is also what the depo provera shot consists of. Before writing it off completely though, it would be a good idea to talk to an experienced sexual health provider.

If you'd like to take a look at the full range of birth control options available to you, you can take a look here.

Birth Control Bingo!

It's also worth noticing, since you mentioned condoms, that condoms are the only birth control method that also protects against STI transmission.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.