Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » I want to start birth control but my parents don't aprove what do I do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want to start birth control but my parents don't aprove what do I do
Aly kat
Neophyte
Member # 95480

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Aly kat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my boyfriend have talked about sex and we both decided although we both want to the possibility of pregnancy no matter how small is not something we want to deal with at this point in our lives the problem is we also should go on the pill to both help lighten my periods (my reasoning) and to be proactive and realistic knowing our horemoans could take over and we could get lost in the moment (something that has almost happene before) and we want to be protected just in case this is even more important to us now that we've had a close friend have a prenancy scare the problem my parents don't approve they don't agree with anything that involves me and the chance of sex they don't care if I'm trying do what Ibelieve is best for me and MY body in the event somthing does happen I really believe it's whats best for me but Ican't convince them what should I do?? any advice at all is welcome.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aly kat
Neophyte
Member # 95480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aly kat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to clarify we decided to wait but want the birth control anyways as a precaution
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In most areas, minors don't need a parent's permission to obtain contraception. So, if a young person wants that to be private from parents, or wants/needs a method but parents or guardians won't okay it, that doesn't usually have to be a barrier.

Mind, hormones can't take people over. Really. They just don't have that kind of power. If and when people make impulsive sexual choices, they are still making choices and are still in control of their actions. Poor hormones, always getting blamed for the things people choose to do. [Razz]

And I'd say that unless -- at any age -- we feel strongly we and any partners can't be in control of themselves with sex and sexual choices, then choosing to engage in sex probably isn't a great idea, for a whole bunch of reasons, not just because of pregnancy or STI risks. For instance, that's a pretty huge emotional safety issue for everyone. So, that might be something to think and talk more about, no matter what.

But all the same, if you want a method of contraception, for now or later, that's likely within your reach.

So, did you want to try and tell your parents and do this with them in terms of what you would ideally want, or would you prefer to seek this out on your own?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aly kat
Neophyte
Member # 95480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aly kat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've talked to my mom and she's against it. I also didn't mean ncomplete lack of control so much as letting things happen me and my boyfriend feel ready (we evev used your chcklist in the past) emotioally and boundry wise however want to wait since we are not prepared to deal with an unwanted pregnancy however we know realistically that our plans to wait could change very quickly which is why we want me on the pill. since I can't drive it's harder to obtain birth control and my mom is very against it so I just feel kind of low on options
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear you've found the checklist helpful.

It sounds like you're saying you'd like to be able to access contraception in spite of your mother's objections.

Your option is to find a health care provider who will then sit down with you and discuss your options. We can help you do this.

It also occurs to me that Condoms
are an easily accessible birth control option that you and your boyfriend could both keep on hand in case you do make the last-minute decision to have intercourse.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.