Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Could I still use my Paragard with hormones?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I still use my Paragard with hormones?
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamabagel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using the Paragard for about 3 years now and I have no complaints. I have a heart arrhythmia that gets worse around my period and my cardiologist suggested I go on a continuous birth control like Implanon to prevent the hormone fluctuations. Since I paid a lot of money for the Paragard insertion and would have to pay for the removal, I would like to keep it if I am able too (an the extra pregnancy prevention isn't a downer, either). Even though it's non-hormonal, could it somehow mess with the mucous thickening or something?
Posts: 18 | From: TN | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something to talk with your cardiologist about. I don't know of any reason why this would be a problem, but the physician treating you is the best person to discuss this with and that's a discussion you need to have with them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamabagel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll talk to my gyn about it when the appointment comes [Smile]
Posts: 18 | From: TN | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd actually suggest your cardiologist is the better person to discuss this with -- unless you can talk to both, because yay! -- than your GYN.

That's because the implant won't interfere with the Paraguard working, but because you have a heart issue, what the main concern would be, in my book, is if using both puts you at higher risks of the cardiovascular risks all hormonal methods can have.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

birth control doesn't affect my arrhythmia, especially the no-estrogen kind. My cardiologist has already talked about the heart effects with me. The main risk with that is high blood pressure and mine stays on the low side from the beta blockers I take for the arrhythmia. I will still bring this up with my gyn, though.
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Also, I heard that the failure rate on implanon is only .05% and many of those women were either pregnant before the insertion, it was inserted wrong, or they had unprotected sex before it became effective. Is that true?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Implanon is very highly effective, yes, and failure is usually about one of those three things happening. One thing to keep in mind about Implanon though is that it may not have the effect you're hoping for: while some women do stop having periods entirely on Implanon, others do not, so that's something to consider and talk to your gyn about.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamabagel
Neophyte
Member # 95639

Thanks for responding! That's reassuring. How do you know it's placed correctly? Do you just feel that it's there or does it have to be in a specific way? I'll keep the chance of it not taking away my periods in mind. It's just one of those wait and see things I guess [Razz]

I found a link to an actual study of the failure rates and the implanon just looks more awesome!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S001078240400294X

[ 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: iamabagel ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it's been inserted, the doctor will ask you to feel it for yourself, so that you know it's there. Other than that, there's no specific way it has to be in, although because of the insertion procedure the placement is pretty standard from person to person. (Mine is actually visible, but it was placed very shallowly, which isn't the case for everyone.)

[ 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.