Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Think I messed up...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Think I messed up...
vpage1112
Neophyte
Member # 49110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpage1112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SO I just started birth control last Wednesday (tri-sprintec). I took the first row of pills this week. I finished the last one in the first row this evening. I was not planning on having unprotected sex, but I did tonight. Unfortunately he ejaculated inside of me. I guess the reason why I'm freaking out is because I thought that 7 days after the start of taking the bc meant taking the first row, but when I read the package insert it said wait from Wednesday til Wednesday. Im feeling pretty stupid at the moment and also very stressed. The only reason why I started these ridiculous pills was to reduce my stress on the first place. So I guess my questions are: do I need to take plan b tomorrow? How long does it take for the pills to become effective? And was I wrong in assuming that the first week of pills was all I needed to be safe?
Posts: 17 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you start the pill on the first day of your period?
You had finished 7 active pills before you had sex- is that correct?

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vpage1112
Neophyte
Member # 49110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpage1112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started the pill on November 30th. My last period started November 19th. My prescriber at planned parenthood said to wait 7 days before unprotected sex. I took the complete first row of pills in the pack each on time starting last Wednesday. Did not skip or miss any.
Posts: 17 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vpage1112
Neophyte
Member # 49110

I also started ovulating a day or so before I even started the birth control. I had the cm to prove it and the cm stopped about a day or so into my pack. I really just need to know if I need to go buy ec just to be safe. It's not a big deal because I've taken it before, but I thought that taking the whole first week would have protected me.
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I'm not 100% sure on this and would rather one of the volunteers confirm. Theoretically you should be protected after 7 active pills but it is safer to give a few days extra margin. Scarleteen recommends using a back-up method of contraception for the whole first pill month/cycle. If it were me, I would take EC today. Also I would use condoms for the rest of pill cycle and take a pregnancy test 2 weeks after your risk or if you miss the withdrawal bleed.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vpage1112
Neophyte
Member # 49110

Well...id really prefer extra advice because this is my first time dealing with birth control.
I took plan b on December 8th and haven't had bleeding yet like i did last time I took the pill. I just wish I knew what was going on with my body. Now i feel like my lower abdomen is super tight and I'm getting cramps and twinges. Peeing a lot. Craving strange food. Things I love smell funny. All signs of pregnancy. I just don't wanna mess anything up again. I don't wamna miss my withdrawal bleed!

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry this was missed over! Okay, so let's break apart that "signs of pregnancy" part first. The FIRST sign of pregnancy you'd notice is a missed withdrawal bleed. Given it's your first pack of pills AND you took EC there's a definite chance your bleed may be a little bit off, so try and keep calm, okay? It may happen.

The risk happened on the 6th, that's only 6 days ago, so too early for symptoms or for a pregnancy test, okay? And? It's totally possible what you're experiencing is related to this being your first pack of pills... because the first three months are usually the worst per side effects.

So what you want to do is wait until it's been 14 days (or if you miss your withdrawal bleed if that'll come first) and take a pregnancy test. Also, you want to wait about a month and get tested for STIs if you've not both had two fill clear tests back.

In addition? Given you're expressing really not wanting to become pregnant right now, have you considered doubling methods? Pairing two methods helps raise the effectiveness ratings, so it's safer than just one because if one method fails you have a back-up then. We'd be happy to talk you though that if you like.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.