Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Hormonal Birth Control and Depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hormonal Birth Control and Depression
moon_goddess
Activist
Member # 55254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moon_goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering recently about hormonal birth control, but a little worried about the side effects. I read that the (combination) pill can sometimes exacerbate depression, which would not be ideal for me.

Also, I saw somewhere that the pill causes women to produce less mucus, and also that it lowers a woman's libido. Is this also true for the progestin-only pill?

How do the effects of the NuvaRing compare? I am a little wary of inserting anything (including a diaphragm with spermicide) because I am susceptible to yeast infections.

Could someone tell me what the normal effects/purpose of estrogen and progestin in the body are?

One last question: since a big part of why I'm interested in hormonal birth control is due to cramps, but I am very hesitant to alter my body's hormones, what other things (other than ibuprofen) can help with bad menstrual cramps? Are there any better medications?

Posts: 48 | From: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moon_goddess
Activist
Member # 55254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moon_goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, why is progesterone sometimes called progestin?
Posts: 48 | From: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to have missed this, moon_goddess!

So, progesterone is the hormone that is produced by the body itself. Progestins are synthetic progesterones: man-made chemically, not by the body itself.

When it comes to vaginal dryness due to hormonal methods, that most commonly occurs for methods which contain estrogens, like the combined pill, patch and ring. Depression, or increased depression, as a side effect can occur with combined methods or progestin-only methods.

If you're inclined to yeast infections, methods with estrogen can sometimes increase that for some people.

It really sounds like you need a good, long sit-down with a healthcare provider who can look at your health history and talk you through all of these issues. For instance, with your cramps, a form of contraception may help, but it might not: it really depends on why you're getting such bad cramps, so you'd want your healthcare provider to look into that. same goes for any other possible medications or treatments for you. However, when it comes to over-the-counter meds, you might see if a naproxen works better for you than ibuprofen: it often does when we're talking about muscles like the uterus.

What do estrogens and progesterones in the body -- natrually, not synthetically -- do?

The Wiki on estrogen has a good list, scroll down to the part of the page with the "function" heading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen

The Wiki on progesterone is also good, scroll down to "effects": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progesterone

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moon_goddess
Activist
Member # 55254

Thanks so much! I just scheduled my first visit with an OBGYN so I can ask her all these questions. I'd been putting it off because I was kind of nervous about going, but now my curiosity about my body is outweighing my nervousness. [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.