Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuva Ring on the Week Break

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuva Ring on the Week Break
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question about how Nuva Ring works on the last week of my cycle (the week I have Nuva Ring out).

I use my ring fairly consistently, never missing inserting or removing on the Sundays I am supposed to (give or take 30-60 mins). Last Sunday I had removed my ring and this Tuesday I had intercourse without using a condom and my fiance had ejaculated inside of me. I am to insert a new Nuva Ring this upcoming Sunday and so I had sex without my ring in (as I am not supposed to). Am I still safe?

My period almost always comes on a Wednesday (which should be day one) and today is Wednesday...I have not as of yet recieved my period. Is it because the semen may have washed some of the blood out? I notice that if I have sex during my period, the blood thins out the next day and then returns to normal later. If I did not recieve my period today should I be worried? Because if I understand clearly, I should be protected on the week I do not have my Ring in.

Any professional comments are welcome. Thank you.

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combined homronal contraceptives are just as effective during the placebo week as during times the medication is being taken, so long as the placebo break is not more than the days allotted for it. In other words, so long as it's no longer than it is supposed to be and you start your next ring on time.

Semen can't "wash out" menstrual flow. Your uterine lining which gets shed is in your uterus, semen doesn't do any washing there, and there's also only one way for anything to come out of your uterus, too, and that's through your vagina. However, sometimes -- and this has nothing to do with semen -- what happens to our bodies when we're sexually aroused or orgasm can have some impact on flow.

However, a withdrawal bleed always coming on the exact same day is actually pretty unusual. Variations of a day to a few days are more common. I'd not worry about that for the time being. If you don't see that bleed within the next week, then you may want to take a pregnancy test -- no method is 100% effective, after all, so it is always a possibility.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. After reading some NuvaRing PDF document, it says that a "missed" period can occasionally occur since the horomones that are released are low. If I miss it twice in a row, then I'd have to go see a doctor.

But yeah...it seems most plausible to rule out pregnancy if I had intercourse only one day before I expect my period and it doesn't seem to be showing up (though there are 'goobers' of sorts that kind of look like blood clots that appear during my period, only thse are clear looking). It's a scary thought but I wonder why my period usually comes the Wednesday after I take my ring out on the Sunday...it has on a rare occasion come on a Tuesday and sometimes a Thursday...but usually on a Wednesday. Strange. Well thanks anyways!

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

I think I am puzzled why my period (withdrawl) didn't show up today because the 'wednesday' is always the "29th" or technically day 1 of my new cycle. Counting from my last period which was on a wednesday (August 17th), I should be expecting it on this wednesday (Septemer 14th). I dunno...maybe my body is weird.

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you're on hormonal birth control (like the pill or the ring) the way you track the length of your cycle is different. Instead of "day 1" being the first day of your period, the way it would be if you weren't taking any sort of birth control, "day 1" is the day you insert a new ring, or start taking a new pack of pills, etc: the day you end the off-week. When your withdrawal bleed shows up doesn't actually change the length of the "cycle" you have, because no matter what, that will always be 28 days, or 3 weeks of having the ring in plus one week ring-free.

Regardless, it is totally possible for a withdrawal bleed to show up on a different day than usual from time to time - it would actually be very unusual if there was never any variation.

Does that help?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

That does help greatly actually. But also is confusing in times of when to expect my withdrawl bleed. As long as it is sometime in that week, it should be fine. I wonder why my body usually picks wednesdays as its day to bleed. I did try using a tampon for a couple hours to see if any blood came out and there were a bit of those brown clot things that usually appear but there is nothing on my panties yet. Thanks for your help guys.

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.