Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » How the pill works...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How the pill works...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah pinged me on this VERY well done explantion on the differences between the regular menstrual cycle and the monthly cycle on the pill, found in text-only format here -- http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/sfeature/sf_cycle_text.html -- and in flash format here -- http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/sfeature/pop_cycle.html

It's very well done. We get a LOT of questions from people not understtanding the difference, so if you're unclear (and this would hold true essentially with most hormonal methods), this is the best detailed explanation I've seen.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jellybelly083
Neophyte
Member # 12062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jellybelly083     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey miz scarteen thanks for the reply that webpage kinda explained everything pretty clearly, here is another question....tomrorow is my last placebo pill for my first cycle of pills...the spotting has stopped but Im not sure if I really got my period, maybe the spotting was partially my period because it last for awhile and at times it was really light and at other times very heavy, but today there has been no spotting or anything...and monday i start my 2nd active pack?
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jellybelly083
Neophyte
Member # 12062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jellybelly083     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoops i had 2 windos open at the same time and i didnt even realize it i meant to post this under my bcp thread sorry but if you would like to answer my question anyways sorry about the confussion
Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, start your new active pack just the way you're supposed to.

It may take your body a couple of cycles to really get used to the hormones and regulate out. So not having a "real period" this month isn't that strange (unless you've had a pregnancy risk, in which case you should test, ASAP). If you're still experiencing just spotting next month, then you should call the person who prescribed the pills for you and ask about it.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jellybelly083
Neophyte
Member # 12062

hey thanks for all the help
sillygirl182
Activist
Member # 2273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillygirl182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should add this link to the Sexual Health/Sex Basics FAQ... I was searching for this little gem for a good hour!

Silly Girl

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(bumping this)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 2 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worth another bump.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got questions about why you're protected while on placebos? If you ovulate or not while on the patch? Check it out.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
qtpatutie01
Neophyte
Member # 43951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qtpatutie01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be on Ortho-tri cyclin lo, but insurence switched me to Tri-lo sprintec.

Are the while pills (4th week) still just sugar pills? I hate taking them...so I usually don't on the 4th week.

--------------------
-Gina

Posts: 4 | From: MI | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Any time you start a new medication, the first thing you want to do is to read all the information that comes with it. BCP packages always come with a printed insert, and it is always wise to read through it. It will tell you which pills are which and how to take your medication.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

siddharath
Neophyte
Member # 45044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siddharath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
may i know is ther any severe side effects of I-pill

--------------------
Siddh

Posts: 1 | From: Insurance | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Can you explain what you mean by the "I-pill"?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi siddharath,

The most common side effects of all emergency contraception, like i-pill, are nausea, period-like bleeding, and an early or late period. These are almost always mild and not serious.

Like other forms of hormonal contraception, there are some other, very rare risks, such as a risk of getting blood clots. Those risks are very low with emergency contraception compared to regular birth control pills.

You should not expect any *severe* side effects at all, but you should expect mild to moderate nausea and vaginal bleeding.

If you have severe side effects, you should contact a health care provider.

You can also look at our article on emergency contraception: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/emergency_contraception

[ 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: atm1 ]

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polifer
Neophyte
Member # 67500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polifer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when does the pill take effect?
Posts: 1 | From: Mexico | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on where in your cycle you started it. If you started on the first day of your period or pretty soon after, then you should reach full effectiveness after the first 7 days. If you took it later in your cycle, you'll want to use a back up method for the entire first pack.

We recommend always backing up with condoms, also because they're the only way you can protect yourself from STIs.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.