Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control while studying abroad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control while studying abroad
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm studying abroad next semester with my boyfriend (most likely Spain or France), and while we're not having intercourse, we think that since we'll be living together while studying abroad (we don't live together now), we might at some point be interested in it. Thing is, I'm not on birth control, and relying only on condoms is out of the question for us (we're all about safe sex. [Smile] ). I'd like to get on birth control for when I go study abroad, but here's my question: if I get birth control, how will I get the pills/shots/patches/ring each month (or whatever the interval is [Razz] ) if I'm in Europe? Btw, I live in America, if it helps any.

Also, what other things should I consider? Who should I ask? My gyn? The people at planned parenthood?

[ 05-21-2011, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Animica ]

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain Girl
Activist
Member # 60279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The key people to ask about this are the administrators of the program you're studying abroad with. You don't have to mention birth control - ask about how students obtain prescription medication while abroad. How would they recommend that you get what you need? Should you arrange to bring all the necessary supplies with you? Will you qualify for treatment under national health care systems while you're abroad, and will those systems be able and willing to provide your preferred control? Is it legal to ship prescription medication overseas these days, if you want to have your parents pick up your 'scrips at home and send them to you?
Posts: 129 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Animica! Captain Girl's advice is good - talk to the administrators of your program. Your gyn and Planned Parenthood are both good people to ask about this too. It may be possible to get medications stocked up in advance for this kind of long travel. Too, if you're able to speak to the administrators of the university you'll be visiting that can be a massive help.

I can research the Spanish and French healthcare systems for you, but it'll probably be tomorrow before I can get back to you on that, okay? [Smile]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I took so long. =_="

That's great advice. I'm making an appointment with my gyn soon, and I'll ask the lady at the international studies office. Patrick, I'd really appreciate if you could do that. Any help would be awesome. Also, I've decided on Spain. [Smile]

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.