Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » typical use vs. perfect use

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: typical use vs. perfect use
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never usually know what perfect use of birth control is compared to typical use. when i put my nuvaring in or take it out, sometimes it's right on time (sundays at 9am) or sometimes late or early by as much as 15 minutes. does this make my nuvaring use somewhat perfect/consistent or somewhat above typical? even if i have sex right in my "fertile window" (14 days or so before my next period) am i still protected with consistency i am going at? i'd like to know because i'd like to become more trusting of my nuvaring and not have to use condoms as well as my nuvaring all the time. PLEASE HELP!

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfect use pretty much means following the directions to the letter. That's really hard to do outside of lab settings.

Now, of course, the closer you follow the directions, the closer you are to perfect use. And with something like the Ring, where there is little room for user error (as opposed to, say, the pill), that's much more feasible. If you're never more than 15 minutes late putting your ring in, and you never take it out for more than 3 hours at a time during the time it's in, then you can figure that you're pretty close to perfect use.

But just so you know, there's nothing wrong with continuing to also use condoms. For one thing, using two methods of birth control is much safer, because it's very unlikely that both will fail at the same time. For another, condoms are the only method of birth control that also helps protect you from STIs. So, if you feel safer using condoms, by all means, keep using them.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9025 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks joey. i think i am a little concerned because last time i had interourse, it was without a condom on day 14 and my finace ejaculated inside of me. i am not worried about STIs because we have both gotten physicals and are monogamous. i feel like i should be worried about pregnancy though, but i don't feel that way entirely hehe. if i am using nuvaring properly (in which i am pretty close to doing i believe)am i still fairly protected even during that time whe i could possibly concieve?

also, if i want to change my insertion and removal time (since 9am is a little inconvenient at this time), would it be safe to change the time my next removal from 9am to 8am? and should i use a backup method for this (ie, condom) in the first cycle?

i just want to get to the point where i am completely trusting of my nuvaring so long as i am using to properly and consistently. i used to freak out about pregnancy risks as a teenanger even when i wasn't even having genital to genital contact and barely ever saw semen! i'm getting closer hehe, but for some reason, taking the condom away makes for a more intimate and less fussy experience.

and does the "screw up of my last cycle" (putting the ring in 4 hours late) affect my next cycle? i was only 15 minutes late this time around and feel as though my use may be at 97% protected or something but i may have been only 92% protected in my last cycle. i hope one doesn't affect the other but i think i feel safe because it's a fairly long shot if i concieve...at least i think so.

sorry, SO many questions! but i always have questions like these and i feel like i can never ever find any answers, so this is a God-send for me [Smile] thank you!

[ 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: kaylinha13 ]

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the ways in which hormonal birth control works is by suppressing ovulation. So there are no times in your cycle when you are more or less likely to conceive. You are always equally protected. As long as you are using the ring as directed, you can always rely on its protection.

As for for moving the removal/insertion time by one hour, I'd not sweat that. One hour really won't make a difference.

Your current cycle also won't be affected by inserting the ring late the previous cycle. As long as you inserted it on time this time around, you're fine.

But, again: if you are worried, just continue to use condoms. Sex is a much more intimate experience when you are completely relaxed, and it sounds like going without condoms leaves you a little freaked.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9025 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

thank you very much for your input [Smile] condoms does give a peace of mind after i have had sex but i feel much more connected and relaxes without...somehow i save the worrying for afterwards haha.

i appreciate your suggestions and advice! [Smile] if i have anymore questions, i'll be sure to post them!!

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.