Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Just to be safe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just to be safe
clm1994
Activist
Member # 58992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clm1994     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen, I am 17 and sexually active and me and my boyfriend have always used condoms for protection for when we rarely have sex. however, I would like to go on the pill. I have read many of you forums about the pill and birth control and right now we have decided to not have sex until we figure this out because I would like to be double safe to decrease my chances of a possible pregnancy. I read one of your articles and it said that women who have a history of brest cancer in their family shouldnt go on it. I did talk to my doctor about thhis and she said that I sould wait until i am 18 to make the choice to go on it or not. We dont have sex often, maybe once a month since it is hard to get the chance to. But I would like to be safe for when we do. Also, i have researched the pill and breast cancer and some studies have shown that they dont know if it actully can pose a risk, my doctor also said the same thing which is why she thinks i should wait. I know my sister is on it though so I know it cant be that stupid. Also, i was wondering if a womens free clinic can deny me birth control since my family has a great history of breast cancer and can I just go to a clinic and get it? Or do i need a prescription? I would like to just know more about this. Thank You.
Posts: 52 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your research is spot-on: some studies have shown that the pill increases the risk of breast cancer, others have not shown that. A history of breast cancer in your family is something you should take into consideration, definitely, but there are other factors to think about when choosing birth control as well, and the pill isn't your only option. (I'm also not sure why your doctor recommended waiting until you're 18 to decide - there isn't anything that magically happens to your body at 18 that would make any difference in this.)

All forms of hormonal birth control (the pill, patch, ring, etc.) require a prescription, so you can't just go buy it from a clinic; no matter where you go you'll need to see a doctor for a prescription first. If you'd rather go to a family planning clinic than your regular doc, that's fine, but they'll do the same thing: go through your medical history and your family history, talk to you about different options and then help you choose. So, you may want to just go back to your normal doctor if you're comfortable with that and talk some more about the pill and your other options, and see why she's recommending you wait.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clm1994
Activist
Member # 58992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clm1994     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well she said she wanted me to wait because once I was 18, I would take this informational class al about breast cancer and the pill so I an know the risks. But can I go to a to a clinic and get one without my other doctor knowing? And can they give me a prescriptin for it even if they know abou my family history? Thank you
Posts: 52 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clm1994
Activist
Member # 58992

Also, last time i saw my doctor I wasnt sexually active
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get the pill without your usual doctor knowing, but it's a good idea to let your regular doctor know about any medications you're on, so they have your total health history. Whether or not you'll be able to get a prescription for it depends on the doctor that you end up seeing - they may recommend against it, they may not, you'll just have to see. (And again, the pill is far from your only option, so you might want to look into some other methods as well.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clm1994
Activist
Member # 58992

We do use condoms but the pill to me is the best option. But the next time i do see my regular doctor, i will tell her if i am. But they can actually deny me it?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

They shouldn't be able to deny you flat-out, no.

--------------------

clm1994
Activist
Member # 58992

Okay, thank you!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.