Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condom sizing question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom sizing question
sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sushi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought Trojan Enz condoms for the first time, and these are the first condoms I bought. I'm not sure what exactly snug is, though. I tried them out on my own, and they never slipped off or anything, but it doesn't seem to be "snug" on me, I guess. Like, it seems a little baggy, and the ring at the bottom is sort of there, no tightly holding on. Does this mean it might slide off? And what other condoms would work well for me, if this doesn't feel snug.
Posts: 9 | From: Connectictut | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How a condom fits at the base tends to be what's most important as far as it actually working.

So, do you feel like that ring at the base is moving around very easily, sliding up? If you're not sure because you just put it on but didn't really take it out for a test drive, you can get a sense of that by wearing one for masturbation.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sushi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did use it for masturbation, and it didn't slide up, but it was getting longer from all the length that wasn't used when I rolled it down. It sort of surprised me, as it didn't have the "super tight on a banana" look, it just looked sort of baggy.
Posts: 9 | From: Connectictut | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the base didn't slip it's all good. It's okay if it gets longer, and that might also not happen when used with a partner, both because the action is a bit different and when you're making sure to keep it lubricated as need be, that'll change things a bit, too.

Condoms don't always fit all super-tight like they do on some folks (or on bananas). [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Ok. I know this sounds a bit weird, but I cut the ring off of one just to see what it was like on it's own, and it was on, but not really tight, sort of like a semi-loose bracelet. Are there any name-brand condoms I could buy that are a bit slimmer than the Enz? I know there are beyond seven ones, but I'd prefer not to order online. I'm just worried that it will slip off with my girlfriend.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm perplexed about why you did that, since the ring is part of how the condom works, and how it fits without it isn't relevant.

You don't want the sheath of a condom to be too snug, because that a) can feel uncomfortable and b) can be a potential issue with breaks. if the ring fits well and doesn't slide, and the sheath doesn't feel too tight, that's a good fit.

But the Enz are 50mm wide, which is fairly average to on the smaller size. In other words, this is a typical size for most condoms. Some that are slimmer (though only by a millimeter or two) are the Beyond Sevens, Durex Close Fit, Lifestyles Snugger Fit and I think Crown Skinless condoms are also a little slimmer.

Female condoms are another option, too, since size/fit is simply totally irrelevant.

Can I check in with you about what you're concerned about with this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Uh, do you mean private message me? if so, sure.
Heather
Member # 3

We don't do PMs here with or among users. I meant if you could fill me in in this conversation here.

I'm just confused, because if you're worried about the condom not working because it's not skintight around the sheath, there's no need for that. And if it's not that, and is about how it looks, then we should maybe talk about that. And if it's not THAT...well, I don't know what it is, so want to know so I can help you best. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Well, I cut the ring off just to see how it fit on it's own, as that is the important part, and it was sort of confusing with the whole thing on. When I put just the ring on, it wasn't very snug. It didn't slip off, but I just don't know what it really should be like.
Heather
Member # 3

If the ring isn't slipping at all, that's what matters. If it's not slipping, you probably don't want it much tighter because then you'll feel pinched, which I probably don't need to tell you won't feel good.

The important part IS how the ring fits (especially since the sheath size of most condoms is pretty much the same, it's the ring size that varies most), so cutting it off basically gave you information that isn't useful. It's how the ring fits that matters, because that's what holds the condom on to your penis.

If it IS slipping -- and just checking, do you have the regular Enz or the large, which they also make? -- or the sheath of the condom earnestly feels loose, then that IS an issue.

It might help to think of fit for a condom as fitting like a well-cut pair of jeans. You're not going for those super-skinny hipster jeans, but you don't want a condom that's cut like those jeans where guys whole butt is hanging out of the top, either. [Smile]

But if in doubt, what you might want to do is see about buying one of those boxes where there's a mix of different condoms.

[ 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Well, the part that I left with my was just the ring, so I'm not sure if that's right or not, as the only part I wore was a ring. I think the part that concerned me was just that it didn't FEEL uncomfortable, it just sort of felt there. it was looser than expected, I guess. And I bought the regular Enz. For reference, I'm on the longer side of average, but on the smaller side of average for girth.
sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

The best comparison I can say is this. It was like a livestrong bracelet, where it doesn't feel like it's going to come off, but it isn't really tight on your arm, if that makes sense.
Heather
Member # 3

I think you need to figure all that cutting the condom into pieces is something that you file away, knowing it has nothing to do with anything, because how a condom fits and works is about the whole thing.

Condoms also aren't supposed to feel uncomfortable, and more times than not, when folks say they are, it's either because a) the condom is too small, b) they're not using it properly in some way or c) they're trying to say either what they think they're supposed to or to get out of wearing a condom.

But it sounds to me like you want to try, and have a sense you should try, a slimmer condom. So, why not go ahead and do that with some of the suggestions I made about alternatives?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Ok, thank you very much for your advice!

I think my problem is putting all these stereotypes of condoms being uncomfortable in the front of my head. If it didn't come off from me, ahem, doing my own thing, then it shouldn't during sex.

Heather
Member # 3

Aha! That, indeed, might be it.

Seriously, when a condom fits right and is used properly, they're not usually uncomfortable and also don't make things feel majorly different.

Let not the whiny-hype mislead you! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

sushi
Neophyte
Member # 56203

Ok, thank you! I guess I'll see what it's like my first time, and if we need to stop because it isn't working, we'll stop, and I'll get a snugger one. Yet again, thanks!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.