Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Want to change BC but don't know to what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Want to change BC but don't know to what?
hellokitty214
Neophyte
Member # 54133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellokitty214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on Ortho Evra Patch for almost 5 years. I like it because its convenient and easy to remember. However, I just don't like when I get my period. Before I started on BC, my periods lasted no more than 3 days. Now they last 4-6 days (usually 5 days). So I am thinking I want to change my BC to where my period my not last so long or might not occur but only a few times a month. Any suggestions?
Posts: 8 | From: East Coast USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truthfully, how any one person's body works with hormonal bc varies greatly.The best thing to do, ideally, would be to get in to see your doctor and discuss this with them. They can help you make the best informed decision based on your own personal health history. But know that they won't really be able to predict how your body will react.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to also add that you will really only have so much control over this with most methods, unless you pick or use a method that suppresses your periods outright (like using pills or a ring to suppress, or using a Mirena IUD).

This change also may have less to do with your birth control and more to do with your getting-older body.

Since it can often take a lot of work to try and find a method we feel good about and good with, if you feel like this is a great fit for you in every other way, I'd be wary of trying to switch for something that is really a relatively minor issue, and basically gives you a period still shorter than average for most women.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.