Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Marvelon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marvelon
fairytalebride
Neophyte
Member # 51754

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fairytalebride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have been prescribed Marvelon by my new family doctor. Other than the packet information and the anecdotals that I have found searching online there does not seem to be much information out there.

I have been taking Marvelon for about 4 months now and it is agreeing with me mentally, physically, etc. However, I have been taking it right before I go to bed, which because I am a graduate student, is be anywhere from 10pm to 3am.

I am not sexually active and won't be using the pill as a birth control pill until I get married in August and am sexually active. I have just been prescribed it early to make sure I had time to find one that is right for me.

Anyway, enough about me, my question is in regards to the information provided here about what is considered on time and what isn't.

I haven't been able to find an exact answer from the Marvelon pack insert, and my doctor and the pharmacist said just to take it as close to the same time as possible. I am finding myself stressing out about when I will be depending on the Marvelon for preventing pregnancy whether my wonky timing will jeopardize the efficacy?

I read in that information that as long as it is in a few hour window, that is okay... Is that a few hour window on either side? Like, can you take it a few hours early or a few hours late and still be protected the same?

Also, if a pill is considered late after 12-24 hours, does that mean that up to 12 hours after your set time is still safe and the efficacy remains?

I hope that you can help me out!
Obviously I am hoping on life being a bit less hectic when I finish my studies and am married, but I would love some answers to these questions!

Also, any resources about Marvelon would be greatly appreciated as it seems to not be very popular!

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few hour window on each side is considered to be safe. But it is easier to remember if you take it as close to the same time as possible.

12 hours is considered to be the upper limit where the efficacy remains and you don't need to take any extra precautions for a "missed pill".

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairytalebride
Neophyte
Member # 51754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairytalebride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply.

Also, if I were to get sick and vomit or have diarrhea, would I need to use a back up method if it happens too close to when I took the pill?

Is there a time frame for that too? Like, after x amount of time, if you throw up - it is still effective.

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually the rule is that if you have vomiting or diarrhea within three hours or so of taking your pill, you'll want to assume that it wasn't absorbed. In situations like that, it's handy to have an extra pack of pills around so you can make up the pill, but if that isn't possible, you'll need a back-up method for at least a week.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5761 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairytalebride
Neophyte
Member # 51754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairytalebride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again for the reply.

I have another question... Which I guess should have been tackled before ever starting but it just came to me now...

Initially, before starting Marvelon in October 2009, my period came about every 26 days. I counted forward to our wedding date in August 2011 and realized I would have my period on our wedding/honeymoon.

So, rather than starting the first pack of Marvelon on the first day of my period or on the Sunday for a Sunday-start... I counted out on a calendar when I would want my period to fall after the wedding/honeymoon... and the counted backwards and then started the first pack in the middle of my normal cycle.. I think like a week or 2 before I would have gotten my normal period.

I know I could have started when I was 'supposed to' and then just used 2 packs back-to-back to skip a period, but this seemed like a more planned out way of doing it and I wanted to avoid the possibility of break-through bleeding.

What I am wondering though, is whether it was okay for me to do this? I feel like sometimes, even though I am on an active pill week, say the 3rd week, I feel like I should be on my period - I guess that would have been the natural 26 day cycle - but I am not cause of the pill...

Is it okay to have done this efficacy wise?

Now that I have been on it for 5 packs worth... it should have changed my cycle to make this the new normal, right? Like, by the time we do have sex in August - it will be efficacious despite the fact that I didn't do a first-day or Sunday start?

I hope that makes sense...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.