Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo
floridagirl
Activist
Member # 46712

Icon 1 posted      Profile for floridagirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone! [Smile]
I know every girl has different experiences, but I was just curious to hear people's opinions on OTC lo. This is the second pill I'm trying, and frankly, I'm scared to death. The first pill, Loestrin 24, caused extreme depression in me which hit a peak after the first two cycles, and I had to seek counseling for it.
I was told OTC Lo should be better because of the less progestin, but either way, just curious to hear stories and/or advice. I'd like to have sex without fear of pregnancy or the condom breaking constantly, so hence the pill. [Smile]

Posts: 56 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, every pill is a bit different - but don't get discouraged, it often taken people a few different ones to find one that works (or find a different method they're comfortable with that works).

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, stressing that it is different for every individual, but I am on Ortho Tri Cyclen ( not the Lo version) and I have had almost no negative effects whatsoever. It has made my period very regular, like I can predict it down to hours of the day. I have had no spotting, my period consistency and heaviness of flow hasn't really changed at all. I haven't gained weight, no headaches or anything from it, I have been on it since July and am not pregnant, nor have I had any scares ( I do use condoms every time though too) I haven't been depressed from it. The only thing I have noticed about it, is that during my period I can be more on edge, or easily annoyed\moody than i normally am, but many people are that way during their period, regardless of if they are on the pill or not. I hope this helps ease your mind, and that your experience is similar to mine, because I have no complaints with it. =)

--------------------
~Smiley~ =)

Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jugglernaut
Activist
Member # 42871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jugglernaut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey girl,
I've been taking Tri Cyclen Lo for two years now (actually have to go get my prescription renewed this week!) and I have to say, I really like it.
*Storytime! [Big Grin] *
I originally started taking birth control to combat my PCOS and regulate my periods - my first pill was Cyclen, which didn't do a whole lot for my cramps (which came at any point in the month), but made my periods more regular, and made me quite a bit heavier as well. When I told my gynecologist-at-the-time about what I was taking, she insisted I stop taking Cyclen and started me on Marvelon, which turned me into a bloated, hormonal bitchmonster of death. D: Once I ditched Marvelon (and that gyno) and started OTC (Over The Counter? LOL) everything honestly got a whole lot better. my cramps are minimal (and only come when they're supposed to), my periods are happy and short and light, and I can predict them down to the hour - it's a wonderful change from not knowing which WEEK I'd get them. more lovely side effects are: my normally-irritation-prone skin got a lot clearer, and my extreme hairiness has since gotten slightly less extreme. I also get REALLY horny on my periods, much to my boyfriend's horror [Razz]

speaking of boyfriends, it's birth-control properties, as I have discovered, also work perfectly. FYI, I am a perfect user, taking them the same minute each day (as soon as I wake up with my alarm - VERY useful to set up a good schedule, I've found).

I suppose my only gripes with it would be: depending on the day in the cycle, my libido and/or amount of vaginal fluid will go right down to zero, and they're not always synchronized. (meaning sometimes I'll be really wanting to do things which would involve penetration, but I'm too dry to do said things) and every few months my breasts will swell and get slightly more tender than normal. so not so bad, really. Even in these instances, everything runs like clockwork [Razz]

Still, this has just been my experiences with OTC Lo. I've heard it agrees with a lot of girls' bodies, hopefully it will with yours as well =)
lots of love, and good luck.

Posts: 43 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.