Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » What Safer Sex Methods Are You Using?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Safer Sex Methods Are You Using?
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What methods are you using for safer sex? Let us know.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 98 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LFH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see any replies, here... do you want people to comment on their safe sex methods of choice?

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil_kiwi
Activist
Member # 26749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil_kiwi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! I am a virgin and I have never given oral or recieved. That is my protection!
Posts: 198 | From: Ca, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be so sure! I've had oral herpes since I was a kid from sharing cups and kissing grandma. Around 50-80% of the US population does with 90% carrying it by age 50, and it can be transmitted to the genital region.

So, while you're not there yet, always good to know! [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LFH, we'd prefer if people comment on their safer sex methods either in the reviews threads or in responding to questions that people have.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl.Bassist
Neophyte
Member # 45470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl.Bassist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the pill and my boyfriend uses condoms. We use the buddy system [Smile]
Posts: 14 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TashaMcback
Neophyte
Member # 45877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TashaMcback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the contraceptive film and my boyfriend uses durex condoms.
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmmChocolate
Activist
Member # 45830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmmChocolate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the birth control pill and my boyfriend uses condoms. We're also up to date on our STI checks [Smile]

--------------------
:)

Posts: 110 | From: The West Coast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI, when we say "safer sex" here, we're talking about STI protection, not contraception (though obviously per condom users or abstainers, those cover both). If you look at the poll, you can see what we mean.

[ 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kath
Neophyte
Member # 48639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I use condoms for penetrative sex, but not for other kinds of sex. This is our first sexual relationship, so it's impossible that either of us has an STI (also neither of us gets cold sores, so that's covered as well).
Posts: 20 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
16 & unpregnant
Neophyte
Member # 50797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 16 & unpregnant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it impossible for first sexual relationship to be at risk of STI/STDs?

--------------------
Live, Love, Laugh :)

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
16 & unpregnant
Neophyte
Member # 50797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 16 & unpregnant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it impossible for first sexual relationship to be at risk of STI/STDs?

--------------------
Live, Love, Laugh :)

Posts: 5 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not.

If both people involved have never had any kind of sex with anyone else before -- not just intercourse, any kind of sex -- then it's very unlikely (save with oral Herpes, which is typically contracted nonsexually), but still not impossible.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.