Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The pill and antibiotics. Really quite worried.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The pill and antibiotics. Really quite worried.
bottlelids2906
Neophyte
Member # 51488

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bottlelids2906     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. I just signed up because I thought there might be someone on here who could give me some advice or reassurance. Sorry if it's a bit long, but I'd love it if you did persevere!
I realise that the chances of becoming pregnant this way and with the given circumstances is very slim, but I have anxiety issues and really tend to freak out about this kind of stuff. Please tell me if I'm being too paranoid.
Okay, so I gave my boyfriend oral sex around the beginning of December, he ejaculated in my mouth and I had the ejaculate on my lips, I kissed him and then about 5-10 minutes later he performed oral sex on me. I am on the pill (Microgynon 30), so I normally wouldn't have worried about this at all, but at the time I was on antibiotics (penicillin vk) to get rid of my tonsillitis. I know that antibiotics can reduce the efficacy on the pill, but from what I’ve read, the extent of which is debatable. And what makes things worse is that my breasts have been tender for the past week or so. I don’t know if this is due to me being paranoid and constantly poking and pinching them to determine if they're sore or if this is actually a symptom. I don’t think they’re any bigger and I haven’t been experiencing any nausea, just butterflies from making myself nervous.
My tonsillitis came back the other week so I went back to the doctors to get more medicine and I asked him about my pregnany concerns. He said that it was highly unlikely because it wasn’t penetrative sex. He just seemed to brush it aside. I know I should trust what he says, but I worry about everything and this is really freaking me out.
I go on my pill break in a week, so I s’pose I’ll just have to see my period shows up.
Thank you for reading. I'd really appreciate it if you could reply.

--------------------
If you negotiate the minefield in the drive and beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes,
and if you make it past the shotguns in the hall, dial the combination, open the priesthole,
and if I'm in, I'll tell you what's behind the wall.

Posts: 7 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, we can stop this chain of worry right at the point where you make clear you two only had oral sex. Pregnancy just can't happen the way you're describing.

The risks to be concerned with with unprotected oral sex are sexually transmitted infections, not pregnancy. (And for future reference, those risks get a bit bigger when you're already ill with something, especially an existing infection of the mouth or throat. So, if there's a next time, condoms would be wise.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bottlelids2906
Neophyte
Member # 51488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bottlelids2906     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if some of the ejaculate was on his mouth when he gave me oral sex?
I really appreciate your reply. I'm now just thinking that the whole tender breast scenario is psychosomatic. I freak myself out a lot.
Thanks again.

--------------------
If you negotiate the minefield in the drive and beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes,
and if you make it past the shotguns in the hall, dial the combination, open the priesthole,

Posts: 7 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

The thing is, sperm are actually really fragile, so indirect transfer like that just isn't likely to result in pregnancy.

And if it makes you feel any better, understand that antibiotics can interact with OCPs, but that doesn't automatically mean that interaction is about being less effective. And no matter what, an interaction is not likely to make your OCPs totally ineffective regardless.

All of this would be more of a concern with intercourse or direct genital-to-genital contact, but without that, my only concern would be infections, not pregnancy,

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bottlelids2906
Neophyte
Member # 51488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bottlelids2906     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. I'm so glad I came across this site. You've made me feel so much better. And I'll definitely take on your advice about infections. We'll lay off that kind of thing whilst the tonsillitis is still being a menace.
Cheers.

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.