Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » bc start & when i'll get my period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bc start & when i'll get my period
rachel4358
Neophyte
Member # 48998

Icon 4 posted      Profile for rachel4358     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i started my birth control on the first day of my period. it's a 28 pack with 21 active pills & 7 inactive reminder pills. i know that i am supposed to get my period while i am taking the inactive pills, but because i started the bc on the first day of my period, it will only be day 17 of my cycle when i take the first inactive pill. will i still get my period when i take the inactive pills? i just want to make sure i won't get pregnant if i have sex while on the inactive pills if don't get my period.
also, when i start the next pack of pills, do i need to use a back up contraception for 7 days? or will it be effective immediately?

[ 09-20-2010, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: rachel4358 ]

Posts: 2 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the first few packs of the pill, when a withdrawal bleed will happen can be pretty iffy. It often takes people a few cycles for their bodies to get used to the pill cycles.

So, you could get it during the placebo week, but you also may not. But even if you don't have a withdrawal bleed during the inactive pills, that doesn't mean you have any less protection during that week. It's not that bleed that makes you be protected.

Per your next pack, no, you don't have to back up for the first seven says if you don't want and are comfy using the pill by itself. So long as you've been taking and keep taking your pills properly, you'll be covered every day of your cycle.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachel4358
Neophyte
Member # 48998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachel4358     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you so much. it's so hard to find the answers i need about birth control because i got mine from planned parenthood & i don't have an ob/gyn yet. this site is really helpful. thanks again.
Posts: 2 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're so welcome.

Just so you know, when you're at PP (or any healthcare provider) they should ALWAYS ask you if you have any questions about a medication or health issue, and then answer any you have. You can also always call whatever office you've been a patient at to ask them questions over the phone.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.