Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The Pill and periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill and periods
amyscissors
Neophyte
Member # 38915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyscissors     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if I could ask a few questions about the contraceptive Pill. I've been thinking of going on it for a while, for that extra protection against pregnancy (me and my boyfriend have been using condoms which have been fine but still, back-up is always good!)

However, I'd also like to know if taking it can help you plan your periods. I'm due to get my period round about now, which means I'll get it around this time, aybe a few days later next month, which is when my boyfriend gets back home after three months away, so as you can imagine, I'd prefer not to be on my period!

So if I started the Pill after my next period (this month) would it delay the one after so that I can have it when my boyfriend has come home? I don't mind if its not effective for the first month because of not taking it on the first day of when my period would be because we'd be using condoms, but I just want to know if its possibke to use it to delay my period. Like if take it for the 21 days, then wil the withdrawal bleed happen, no matter when I started taking it in my cycle?

Sorry if this makes no sense [Frown] but I really don't want to be on my period when he comes back and if I can use the Pill to do this, since I was going to go on it anyway, that would be a bonus!

Thanks for your help [Smile]

Posts: 6 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pill can help you predict your periods (or more accurately, withdrawal bleeds - what you get on the pill isn't technically a period because you don't ovulate). However, it isn't unusual for withdrawal bleeds to be a bit irregular in the first few cycles of the pill, and/or for women to have some breakthrough bleeding during the active pills, especially if they don't do a Sunday start or start on the first day of their period.

Basically, if you were thinking about going on the pill anyways, then now is as good a time as any, it's just no guarantee that you won't have your period when your partner gets back.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.