Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Already doubled up on birth control, but how can I be safer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Already doubled up on birth control, but how can I be safer?
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am already on Yasmin birth control and have been for about 9 months. I want to have sex with my boyfriend of 4 years for the first time but I'm a paranoid freak when it comes to getting pregnant. He's going to wear a condom and pull out before he ejaculates but are there any other methods of protecting myself from pregnancy?
Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sarah,

Using both the birth control pill and a condom would have you pretty protected. For the actual stats on that see this: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Also, read this if you haven't already: Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

Of course, no form of birth control is absolutely 100% effective, but you can't get much better than the "buddy system." As the article I linked above says, we don't advice becoming sexually active unless you are sure that you can deal with the chance (however slim that is) of becoming pregnant. So just something for you to read and decide for yourself. [Smile]

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aguyfromoz
Neophyte
Member # 45250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aguyfromoz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I also suggest non-penetrative sex (such as mutual masturbation, handjobs/blowjobs/cunnulingus) and fingering especially if both of you are new to the game (the pregnancy risk is negligible if there is NO penetration, he shoots his semen on himself and any semen is promptly cleaned off with a wet wipe.)
Posts: 10 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! We've done mutual masturbation, handjobs, blowjobs and fingering and we wanted to take our relationship to the next level.

But I think we were pretty safe. We had sex with a condom and he pulled out before he ejaculated and I'm on the pill. Do you think adding a spermicide will decrease the chance of getting pregnant even more?

Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Spermicide alone is not very effective, and so it won't significantly increase your pregnancy protection, though it may increase your odds of certain types of vaginal infections, since spermicide throws off the natural chemical balance in the vagina.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GhostyGhostyy
Neophyte
Member # 45259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GhostyGhostyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sarah!
I noticed that you commented on my "Chicken Soup for the Paranoid soul" post...I hate that people like us have to worry so much about being pregnant. it seems like the people who are being safest about protecting themselves against pregnancy are the ones who worry most about it!

Whenever I worry, I just try and think logically. The good thing with condoms is that you can SEE visually that none of the guys "fluids" have gotten inside you, so I find that that really really helps. I had wondered before if there was any way that semen could leak through a little microscopic hole in the condom without me noticing, but I researched it and I found out that when they break, you can reaaally tell haha.

Also, I know that there are stories about people getting pregnant while on the pill and using condoms all the time, but usually those people aren't as careful with taking the pill as you (And me :] ) are, so they'll be more likely to take it really late or to not take it at all. Whenever I get a random feeling of "Oh god...what if I'm pregnant" I just think to myself that there isn't any way that I would be if I was taking the pills perfectly and using a condom. The success rate for birth control pills is about 99.98-99% right? If there was a lottery with a 99% chance that you would win, wouldn't you buy a ticket? It seems that with everything else in life, when something is 99% guaranteed, we don't worry about that extra one percent anymore than necesary.

You've just got to distract yourself, and try not to become too stressed out! [Smile]
Whenever I get stressed my stomach starts to hurt and then I think "Oh my god, that's the baby!" , but then I realise that I'm being ridiculous, and am able to forget about it and move on with my day.

Also, (I'm sorry about this incredibly long reply) you posted something about sex not feeling good for you? I had the EXACT same problem. I usually never finished, and was sort of dissapointed by sex in general. Try some different positions, the angle of everything helps ENORMOUSLY. Also, I've found that I can orgasm much easier the second time we have sex. Say if we have sex then have sex again 30 minutes to an hour later, it seems I am almost guaranteed to climax! Weird lol, but maybe it will help.

Our situations are so paralell, it's almost freaky. Take care, hope I was able to help you a little bit!!!

Posts: 39 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm so glad I have someone to relate to. I don't know anyone else who is on birth control and takes them religiously like I do and uses condoms. I still freak myself out when my stomach feels weird or if I feel like I have to pee more often. But I always think there's no one I could have gotten pregnant because the odds were against me.

I wish I didn't have this paranoia! It's so annoying. I know I can't get pregnant if I take my birth control faithfully, he uses a condom and he pulls out before he ejaculates. But I always look online and read stories that scare the crap out of me. I need to stop doing that. People always say they got pregnant even when taking the pill perfectly and using condoms. I guess I shouldn't believe them.

Raider.Gal
Neophyte
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raider.Gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be very very rare for theses people to have become pregnant. The pill and condom is very effective and that is in fact what I use.
Posts: 31 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

And you've never gotten pregnant? I want to have sex but I don't want the stress of being worried that I could possibly have gotten pregnant.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah, I need to be honest with you: there will always be people who have gotten pregnant using ANY method of birth control, because NO method is 100% effective, even doubled up.

So, whether Raider.Gal had or hadn't wouldn't actually tell you much about whether or not you would or wouldn't. Anecdotal information about who does or doesn't become pregnant just isn't as reliable as actual studies on methods.

have you looked at the effectiveness rates for both methods and both combined? Cam you see looking at those documented rates what the real risks are and are not?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.