Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condom Reliability

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom Reliability
junlozada
Neophyte
Member # 37272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for junlozada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, i have read through your articles regarding the proper use of condoms and learned a lot but just recently i had a chat with a practicing nurse about it. What she informed me is that condoms are just 60-70% effective when used properly that is why she uses the family planning method instead. Can this be true? coz it is confusing me..it contradicts the "knowledge" i got from this site and im not sure whether to doubt her or not coz she is a nurse.
Posts: 13 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid she was either uninformed herself or giving you information she knew to be false or inaccurate. We gather our information from many reputable organizations, including the World Health Organization. As their site says, even with typical use the effectiveness rate is still going to be around 86-90%. With perfect use, according to that site from the WHO, the effectiveness is 97%.

As for the "family planning method" I'm not sure what she means by that. If she means the fertility awareness method, that's not something suggested for young women as their bodies are still adjusting to the hormonal changes from puberty so their cycles may not yet be stable enough. Also, while the perfect use rate of the fertility awareness method is comparable to perfect use of condoms, the typical use rate is 80%, even lower than the typical use rate of condoms.

Are you trying to decide on a method of birth control? If so, you might find our article, Birth Control Bingo!, to be helpful. And if you want to use two methods to increase your protection, you can see our article The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
for more information.

[ 08-24-2009, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
junlozada
Neophyte
Member # 37272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for junlozada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the clarifications! More power!
Posts: 13 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billy Mck
Neophyte
Member # 44489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billy Mck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if condoms from a condom dispenser are safe or not. My girl and I want to have sex for the 1st time and I dont know where to get any.
It doesnt help that I only have 3$ [Frown]
Any tips?

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, I'd suggest avoiding condoms from a dispenser. They're quite likely expired and/or of low quality.

Can you use those $3 to get to a clinic like planned parenthood? If you can, you should be able to get a handfull of condoms for free.

If not, why not just wait until you two can save up enough to buy box at the drug store (any pharmacy, such as CVS, will have condoms. So will stores like Walmart, Target, and most big grocery stores. Some convenience stores sell them from behind a counter--that's much better than getting them from a dispenser).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billy Mck
Neophyte
Member # 44489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billy Mck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K, thanks for the advice [Big Grin]
Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billy Mck
Neophyte
Member # 44489

Oh, and one more thing, if I do go to a clinic to get free ones, what should I say?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can just ask if they have any free condoms available - it's something they hear all the time, and if they do have some, they'll be more than happy to let you take what you need.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5736 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billy Mck
Neophyte
Member # 44489

ok ty [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.