Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Diaphragm Fitting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diaphragm Fitting
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I finally get fitted for my diaphragm today. I won't get it for another couple of weeks, but I'm wondering what I should expect at my fitting. (I tried to find an article or another post about this, but didn't see any? I may have just not been looking in the right places, though [Smile] )

From what I understand about how the diaphragm works, it shouldn't make a difference that my uterus is tipped, should it?

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finally had it today. The doctor didn't show up to my last appointment because she was delivering a baby. I am so disappointed. Disappointed in the doctor and in myself. I was pretty much set up to fail, and even though I could see that, I didn't defend myself or stand up for myself, and that's why I'm disappointed in me. I also didn't think it would HURT. I knew it wouldn't be exactly comfortable, but she was not gentle with me at all. [Frown]

What happened:

They had to order in a new set of fitting diaphragms for me, so they were brand new. Very cool. She puts one in, and said it fit. Great! Easy peasy. Then she says she's going to try a size bigger. I thought, "Okay. Makes sense, I guess. We need to make sure the first one actually fits by comparison. I can understand that." Wellll, the second one was "just a little too big." I'm still very confused as to why she would want to give me the one that was "a little too big" rather than the one that she originally said fit. She then said that the first one didn't fit right (after saying originally, when the diaphragm was IN, that it did fit).

I've read that too-big diaphragms are more likely to cause UTIs, so I really didn't WANT the too-big one. The too-big diaphragm didn't "pop" on right away, or something (not like the first one did), and she said that she never wants to prescribe a diaphragm if it doesn't "pop" on right away. I start getting nervous.

She says she has it in right, and asks me if I can feel anything. I cannot. It feels like having my diva cup in, which is to say, I can't feel anything. Then the doctor says she's going to dislodge it, and I'm supposed to stick my finger in my vagina and feel how it's not behind my cervix. Okay? I'm laying flat on the table, and I know for a fact that I won't be able to feel my cervix if I'm sitting there. In fact, the only way I can feel my cervix (I check it for FAM) is if I'm slouching while sitting on a toilet. I can't do it squatting or with one leg up on a stool. I just can't.

However, the latter two are my only options at this point. So there I stand, with one leg up on a stool, trying to feel for a "doughnut nose" somewhere in my vagina. She tells me that she can't prescribe me one if I can't find whatever it is she's moved onto now. So I get anxious. She tells me to take out the diaphragm, so I do. Then she wants me to insert it, starting from scratch. I try to relax, but I'm so anxious about making the darn thing work, that my vagina just tightens up more and more. Finally I get the diaphragm in my vagina, but I can tell it definitely isn't in there right. I'm still working with the too-big diaphragm here, not that it would have made any difference at this point.

I feel so defeated that I just give up, and she tells me that 15% of women cannot use diaphragms. Is this even true?

Then, my favorite (HAH) part of the whole stupid appointment is when she says, "So! Let's schedule you for an IUD insertion!"

I have flat out said, at least three times, that I do NOT want an IUD. I left and the gal at the desk gave me a bagful of condoms. It was nice of her.

I did note the size of the diaphragm because I know you can order them online without a prescription, but I don't want to order one and not know how to put it in! I have no idea who I could go to that ISN'T this lady to see if it was inserted correctly, or to be taught how to insert it.

I'm so frustrated and angry and sad. At this point, we'll probably just stick with condoms. They work fine for us and don't bother either of us in the slightest. I just wanted a back-up on the off-chance that one broke (never happened to us before, but I know there's always the chance).

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a situation where you should go and see another doctor, possibly just a different one at the same practice. You can describe your experience, and how you felt that your options weren't being presented fairly. You should have had the option to go to the bathroom and use a toilet the way you described...

But you absolutely can take a little while and then go back to a different doctor. Any doctor that doesn't really respect your state wishes (it really sounds like she was pushing an iud, even though you had clearly stated it wasn't right for you), isn't a doctor to continue seeing in my opinion. You can take this as a lesson, and be more prepared in the future.

And FYI, most diaphragms come with pretty good instructions, including pictures (mine did).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Unfortunately, she's the only one at that practice that fits them, or that's what the nurse told me. Our PP is TINY, too...it's in a little old house and they only have one room, so I feel like it would be really awkward to go back there again. I have called practically every other clinic in the city that I can reach by bus, and none of them fit diaphragms. It's the only reason I went back to her at all [Frown] The other reason is that PP is the only place in town that can actually get the diaphragms from the US, so I would inevitably end up back there anyways.

When I was at a different clinic today (for a TB test), I asked the doctor there if he knew if anyone in that clinic fit diaphragms. He thought the female doctor might (she doesn't), but then said that lots of women fit their own at home. I'm not sure if he understood what I was talking about, of if a fitting is something someone CAN do at home. I don't think it is...but maybe?

I think at this point I'm just going to order one online and go see my GP. She should be able to tell me if it's on there right, I would think. If not, maybe I'll get her to refer me to a gynaecologist. That was the nurse's next recommendation.

--------------------

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Beckylein!

Sorry to hear about all you're having to go through to get your diaphragm; it sounds really uncomfortable and unpleasant! I wish people were more supportive.

While I do not know about the Canadian health system's policy on diaphragm fitting and what not, I know I have gotten them from GYNs in both the US and Germany. I would recommend waiting until you see your GP before ordering one online; considering that you are using it because you don't want to become pregnant [Wink] , I'd wait to be sure. I am actually getting refitted for one this or next week by my GP. Technically, it's something most of them can do (at least here); at this point, I'm seeing my GP for basic GYN check-ups. Additionally, at this medical practice with numerous doctors, NPs and PAs, I could always see another person there for the fittings and checkups.

Again, good luck with all this! I think diaphragms are a great option and worth the effort. I just hope you can find a medical professional to help you with this. [Smile] Please let us know how it goes.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.