Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » "Break" from birth control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Break" from birth control?
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 5 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys [Smile]

I'm coming off the pill this month. I won't be seeing my boyfriend for about three months (long vacation!) and I really dont feel like starting NuvaRing when I'm not even going to be having sex for 3 months. Its just a waste of like, 60 bucks. I don't want to hassle it all...transferring the perscription to pharmacies Im unfamiliar with and such. I thought that since I'm switching methods anyways, to just hold off until I actually need to start using. I'd start it a cycle before I have sex to ensure the protection factor.

What are the pros/cons of waiting in between changing methods?

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 230 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only cons you might face are that you may experiences some wonkiness from going off a hormonal method, and then some wonkiness again when you go back on, switching methods. Also, you should give your new method a full month before considering it to be fully effective against pregnancy since you'll have time off before then.

The only other cons would be if you have any other benefits from taking the hormonal method aside from protection against pregnancy.

I don't think it's a bad idea to take some time off for your body and your wallet, there really aren't any health consequences just from not being on a hormal method for awhile and then starting again, as long as you stop after you last pill and start your first ring properly.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! Perfect, that's what I'll do. All the benefit I get from being on it is water retention. [Smile]

[ 05-09-2006, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: StarHallie ]

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 230 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, knowing how my own body reacts to going on and off the hormones, i would stay on it (provided you have the $60 TO stay on it).

My period has a really hard time regulating itself for the first few months after i come off the pill. I tend to have cramps and breast tenderness for the whole cycle instead of just a few days before and during my period. I just know i'd feel like poo. And i personally like knowing when my period is going to come ... I've become kind of spoiled from being on birth control for so long!

The only benefit i, personally, would get from doing this would be the extra money from not being on it. My body just does not react well to changes like that [Wink]

Have you talked to your nurse/doctor about this?

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to what Smurf said. My body goes bananas if I try to take breaks.

Do you qualify for FamilyPACT, Hallie? If you earn under 1200 a month by yourself and say you need confidentiality, you can get your pills/ring/any method you want at no cost. That's what I do, and it's really a godsend.

Here's the thread to find out more:

Birth Control- Washington State and California

[ 05-09-2006, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, cool. Thanks you guys for the input, and thanks Lauren for that tip-off! About that...what's a nice easy way to sign up for this? The site...kind of confused me. I make very little dough per month and REALLY like the idea of confidentiality. [Smile] Thanks so much!

--------------------
-Woody Allen

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where you are in California, Hallie, but most city clinics or large hospitals should be FamilyPACT providers. Do a websearch to find them, and most clinic website listings will say whether or not they're a F.P. provider.

Just make an appointment with them, and tell the receptionist that you would like to apply for FamilyPACT during your visit. The receptionist will use the following chart to determine your eligibility (PDF) :
Receptionist Decision Tree .
If you qualify, you simply go to your appointment and apply for your card.

If a chain pharmacy tries to get you to pay for your presciption using your card, either have the clinic doctor send a letter explaining the program, or have the pharmacy call the clinic.

Ask if you need anything else, dear. I know it was hell figuring this out on my own. [Smile]

[ 05-10-2006, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Yah, problem: im a non-minor dependant on my parent's health insurance. So this won't work.

--------------------
-Woody Allen

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Yes it will. I'm covered by my parent's insurance, too.

All you have to have is your social security number. They'll be able to see that you have insurance; if they ask about it, tell them that you don't want to use it because you don't want your parents to know.

Need for confidentiality qualifies you just the same as no coverage [Smile] .

StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Oh! Okay got it. That will definately be worth the time...I estimate that would be almost 200 dollars a year I won't have to scrap for. (I can barely afford gas at $3.50 a gallon now). Thanks, Lauren.

--------------------
-Woody Allen

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(You know, it might be time for a piece on sexuality and finances -- on how to find things like cheap or free birth control, sexual healthcare services, on how using washable pads or a Divacup saves you loads of money. etc.

One of the inequities women often forget about gender-wise is that not only financially are women as a class poorer, but we have more expenses in certain departments, and sexuality is absolutely one of them. There are some ways, though, to even the scales there just by, for instance, not throwing dollars into the male-owned and profit-based women's menstrual products capitalist corps, by using the services (usually) women-based orgs HAVE set up to make things like sexual healthcare less expensive.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

You're welcome, Hallie. I know how it can be to try to scrape up for a reliable method when you make little money; without the help of your parents, it's almost impossible. It's really too bad not many young women know about this program and similar ones in other states, so spread the word. If you run into any trouble, don't be afraid to ask me. [Smile]

And I totally agree with you, Heather. That would be a great addition to the main site. It's amazing how few people actually know these programs exist, and this site could do a great service by providing that information. The same can be said for alternative menstrual products and the evilness of large companies producing mainstream ones; Scarleteen was the first place I learned about alternative methods!

StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Me too! I hadn't even heard of a menstrual cup until now! I'm ordering the Diva as we speak! [Smile]

I <3 Scarleteen!

--------------------
-Woody Allen

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! They're so cool.

They can be a bit fiddly for a day or so until you get the hang of them, so do check out the past threads (if you haven't already) - lots of tips and tricks and people sharing their experiences.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.