Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Pesky Nuva Side Effects, Help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pesky Nuva Side Effects, Help?
vixenchic42
Neophyte
Member # 5972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vixenchic42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!! I've been using nuvaring for quite a while, and I have never had problems until recently. Lately, the ring doesn't want to stay pushed up in my vag, which doesn't bother me when I'm sitting, standing, or sleeping, but when I'm walking around, I can feel it and it's a bit uncomfortable. It just comes down and sits right at the opening of my vag. I can push it back up, and it's comfortable agian for a couple of hours, the it's back to the opening.

When it sits for a while at the bottom of my vag (I'm sitting in class for example) It kind of irritates the skin right at the opening and outside of me. This is itchy and a but sore, but not nearly enough to make me think about switching birth controlls. As someone who routinely forgets pills, I LOVE the convenience of the nuvaring.

I've tried wiping with tucks wipes, which my mom recommended and which say they're safe for vaginal use, but they don't seem to help any. Anywhere else, my first thought would be cortisone cream, or something like that, but I'm leary to put anything on my vag that shouldn't go there.

Does anyone know of a solution for this little nuisance? I'd love something I could just slap on in the morning and not have to worry about it.

Thanks bunches!!!!!

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Nuvaring Website says that if it falls out repeatedly then you should see your doctor.

You'd definitely want to see the doc about the itching and soreness, too. You're right, you don't want to put anything down there (like creams) without knowing for sure they should go there. The tucks are great, but aren't meant for long term use anyway.

I know convenience is nice, but it's more important for it to work for you, KWIM? If you end up having to forgo the ring, you have other options that aren't the Pill. Check out Birth Control Bingo.

[ 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Alice ]

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.