Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Lybrel, Take Two

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lybrel, Take Two
Emily 249
Neophyte
Member # 28956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily 249     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I was just put on Lybrel. I saw the post from June which discussed going on the medication for inconvenience's sake, but I'm more curious to see if anyone has gone on it for other reasons. I have epilepsy and the change in hormone levels triggers my seizures, so Lybrel was recommended as a way to keep that under control. This is kind of a last-ditch effort to cut down on the neurological unpleasantness.

Lybrel's actual homepage wasn't very helpful -- they've only got the information insert posted online, which I've already read -- so I wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of studies or articles concerning the medication that might give me more information. Since it's a new medication, I want to know as much as I can about it.

Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I think it's important WHY you're considering Lybrel in the first place. You're using it, in conjunction with other medications to help remedy a medical condition. If your Doctor is recommending it in the first place, he/she is hoping that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Try and bring up any information you encounter with your Doctor, and discuss what is best for your health...both in the short term and the long term.

That said, there is very little known about the LONG term effects of Lybrel, or continuous HBC use (very similar to Lybrel, or it's sister Seasonelle). It'll be necessary to wait a few decades to see any hard hitting research in that area.

About effectivness and breakthough bleeding...
http://www.wyeth.com/news?nav=display&navTo=/wyeth_html/home/news/pressreleases/2007/1179876879334.html

Some more general info...
http://contraception.about.com/od/prescriptionoptions/a/Lybrel_2.htm

To be honest? Most of what I'm seeing/hearing these days is that while taking Lybrel (especially during the first 6 months or so), breakthrough bleeding pretty common. That seems to be the greatest fuss right now. As far as long term effects? None of us can see into the future, but the general consensus seems to be that Lybrel carries the same risks as other HBC's. From the sounds of it, you've done some basic research and know the general risks you subject yourself to while taking HBC's. If not, let me know, and I'll send a link your way [Smile]

Hope some of that helps, and makes sense too!
Best of luck!

[ 08-04-2007, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: LittleMissSunshine ]

Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily 249
Neophyte
Member # 28956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily 249     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links. I know Lybrel's a little controversial right now, so I was having some trouble finding articles that didn't involve an editorial element. Getting some straight forward facts definitely helped.
Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.