Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » hpv shot.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hpv shot.
xo_ali
Neophyte
Member # 34842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xo_ali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, so my mom just scheduled a doctor's appointment for me in like a week, and I know she's gonna force me to get that stupid hpv shot. and i'm like.. a total baby when it comes to shots. i swear i have some kind of issue. anyways, i'm completley scared and i really don't want to go. someone, please, tell me it's not that bad.

--------------------
<3 ali.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a shot. Everyone finds shots to be different. Personally, I was fine. I didn't find it to be any worse than any other shot i've gotten. But again, thats me. Everyone's experience is different.

However, I don't think your mom can literally force you to get the shot. If you tell your doctor that you do not want the vaccine, they won't give it to you. After all, they can't hold you down and force the needle into your arm.

Is the fear of the needle the only reason you don't want to get the vaccine, though? If you tell the doctor/nurse how you are about shots, they generally try to make your experience as comfortable as possible.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do decide to get the shot after all, I've found that a tip that really helps distract me is to try to say the alphabet out loud- backwards. It's damn near impossible, and it's gotten me through many a blood test and iv prep!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a terrible fear of needles, and doctors did hold me down and give me shots a few times growing up, which of course, did nothing but make the fear worse. I was shamed into getting shots, forced into it, and worse.
When I was in the hospital for a few months, they needed weekly blood tests. Well, that's ALOT of needles, and BIG ones, at that! They started me on 1mg of Ativan for the first couple, then lowered the dose gradually at each shot until I was drug free, but still not panicking. Now I can get any shot, as long as they let me sit down [Smile] I even donate blood!
I don't think this approach will work for you, however, something that has worked for many people I know is visualization. Sit down with something you REALLY enjoy. Chocolate, a bowl of icecream, whatever. Maybe not even food! Visualize part of the process that DOESN'T freak you out (often, leaving the house to get the shot, or calling to make the appointment, or seeing a commercial on TV about it), make sure you're relaxed, and take a bite of your "reward". Then visualize something a little more freaky (driving into the parking lot, maybe?), wait until you can relax while visualizing that, then take another bite. Continue this way until visualizing all kinds of nasty graphic things doesn't phase you at all. It's still hard to do in real life, but it'll help, I promise. Science doesn't lie [Smile]

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate getting injections. but I got all three HPV shots.

While this method isn't for everybody, whenever i feel like I'm gonna wuss out about something, I verbally abuse and berate myself into going through with it. Think of the meanest drill sergeant you've ever seen, and imagine me saying those kinds of things -- out loud -- to myself, in public.

Or at the very least, promise yourself an ice cream cone afterwards.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronKitten
Neophyte
Member # 34910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Monday I'm going in to get a blood test for my allergies--I'm also going to talk to my doctor about getting vaccinated for HPV.

Problem is, I HATE needles. Just reading the few posts in this thread and picturing what I'd be doing on Monday, picturing what everyone else in this thread was going through, picturing myself saying the alphabet backwards with a needle stuck in my arm--all that made the color drain from my face so quickly that I'm afraid when I move there'll be a puddle of red beneath me.

I think you need to realize that this is a really important shot, regardless of whether or not you choose to be sexually active. I don't plan on it, to be honest, at least not for a while, but who knows how promiscuous my future lovers and/or my future husband will have been? What's better: three shots or cancer? That's what I keep telling myself, even though the idea of needles makes me ill: I need to do this for me.

While it's good that your mom is pushing you to do this, I don't think she can force you--and you certainly can't let her. It's your body, do with it as you please as long as you're fully aware of the consequences!

You know how I plan on getting those shots and getting my blood drawn? Like I've gotten every other injection I've ever received in my entire life: my eyes squeezed so tightly shut it hurts, my head turned the other way, and constant begging.

"Don't start yet. Give me a minute. Please wait. Please, please, please wait!"

Odds are by the time I've finished begging for the nurse/doctor to wait, the needle's been in and out and they're handing me a bandage.

[Smile]

--------------------
"People take different
roads seeking fulfillment
and happiness. Just because they're
not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snail
Neophyte
Member # 34904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly: don't worry! I swear it's not that bad. I got 3 shots in a row the other day, and the HPV one I found actually less of a pain than the Hep A one.

My only suggestion: be lying down, or at least stay in the doctor's office for a little while after getting it, perhaps 15 minutes. I got my first injection the other day, and though I'm not bad with needles and I even think getting blood drawn is kind of cool, I fainted right in the doorway! It was quite dramatic, etc, etc. I know I have some positional hypotension/low blood pressure issues, so I'm at risk for that sort of stuff, but I've never fainted before.

It's not a terribly common side effect, and it was little more than an inconvenience, but I'll just give a heads up. There's apparently slightly more risk of fainting with the HPV vaccine than with other vaccines.

Despite that, it wasn't at all a horrid experience, and was over quickly. I'll be getting my 2nd and 3rd shots right on schedule...lying down!

[ 08-05-2007, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: snail ]

--------------------
What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.

~Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire, 1947

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xo_ali
Neophyte
Member # 34842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xo_ali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for everything guys. it's not that i don't want to get vaccinated. i do, but i am so afraid of needles.. i had to get my blood drawn a couple months ago because i had a really bad case of mono, and i started crying. it doesn't hurt, it's just the whole mind thing.
the good news is, my mom can't come with me to my physical tomorrow, so that means she can't sign the sheet to get the shot, so i'm gonna go in on friday. that's a few more days to prepare. thanks everyone [Smile]

--------------------
<3 ali.

Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronKitten
Neophyte
Member # 34910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm glad you've got some extra time. I got the shot on Monday and basically did was I described; I looked away and held my breath and tried not to pull away or fall. [Smile]

It actually went really well; when I didn't look (I didn't even look at the needle when she brought it in), all it was was some pressure and then a little bit of a sting. My arm's still sore, but it actually isn't bad at all when it's happening. [Big Grin]

Good luck! I hope it goes as well for you as it did for me!

--------------------
"People take different
roads seeking fulfillment
and happiness. Just because they're
not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.