Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Changing BC pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing BC pill?
winterx3
Neophyte
Member # 105393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winterx3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I couldn't find one.

I've been told by some people that you are supposed to switch your birth control pill every year - year and a half, because your body becomes immune to it. Is there any truth to this? I've been on my pill for just about a year and I don't want to have to change unless I absolutely have to, as it took this long for my pill to regulate and not make me feel sick.

Thanks!

Posts: 11 | From: Mass | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there winterx3!

I don't believe this claim has any substance. Bear in mind that many forms of birth control, specifically the hormonal forms (ex. the pill, the implant, Mirena IUD...), are all the same except in their form of administration. It wouldn't make sense to switch around in that regard.

But also, our bodies don't become immune to hormones. If that were true, our bodies would run into a lot of troubles in functioning; hormones are half of how our body communicates to itself and gets stuff going, really basically speaking.

It's cool to hear the pill is working well for you! No need to change your regimen and ruin that for you [Smile]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just backing Allie up here: this is a myth.

The lone exception with this is that with Depo-Provera, expressly, it's often advised users take a break from it every five years or so. But that's not about it no longer working, it's about potential health impacts of long-term use without a break.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.