Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Chewable Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chewable Pill
BrowniesRock
Neophyte
Member # 30944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrowniesRock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I will be going on the pill for the first time on Sunday. This is in large part due to my mother's prodding (She wasn't thrilled about her daughter being intimate - she actually cried in my GYN's office.) I know that legally it's not her decision to make, but she's basically threatening to force me into breaking up with my boyfriend if I don't go on it. Now, I don't know how I feel about this - I can see some definite pros (More peace of mind, standard periods, etc) but I am also worried about potential side effects. I read the Pill Experiences post here and some of the things that people had to say about it really freaked me out.

Now, one signifcant plus is that the pill now comes in a chewable form, Femcon Fe, which is ideal for me because I hate to swallow pills. But it's very new, which worries me because they probably haven't tested it as much. My ultimate fear is that it will either completely mess up my hormones or make it hard for me to conceive when I am ready to have a child (One of my biggest hopes in life is to have a large family one day).

Thus, I'm kinda scared. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with my mom or any information about Femcon Fe, its effectiveness, or its side effects?

Thanks.

--------------------
"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."
- Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 23 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill is NOT your only birth control option; your mom needs to realize that. If you don't want to deal with the side effects, you shouldn't have to -- there are other non-hormonal prescription options, like a diaphragm or shield. The vast majority of women taking BCP's don't have any major side effects; though from my personal experience, if I had known what they would be for me, personally, I would not have taken them.

Femcon Fe is the chewable version of the Ovcon-35 birth control pill, if I recall correctly. It is just as effective as its swallow-whole counterparts, the only catch being that you must drink a full glass of water after chewing it to ensure no medication is left in the mouth, which could reduce effectiveness.

So, perhaps have a talk with your mom about your worry about side effects, and ask if she would be willing to compromise as to which method you choose?

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrowniesRock
Neophyte
Member # 30944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrowniesRock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you see, I thought that my mom would be understanding because she had some bad experiences with the Pill, but she seems unwilling to budge. I've explained to her at length how we use a condom every time, and how we looked up the proper way to put one on and check for holes and breaks. He even pulls out, so the way I see it, I'm never in contact with sperm, which I think is a pretty good indication that I'm at a super low risk for pregnancy. But she's saying that if I want to keep seeing him, I have to go on it.

Again, I can see the advantages, but I want more time to think about it. I don't really have time, though, because my next period is coming up and the prescription is already waitng for me at the drugstore. I really don't know if this is right for me - I mean, for one thing, my boyfriend is going to college next year, and we're probably only going to see each other 2 or 3 times a month. Thus, sex will be pretty occasional, and I think a condom would suffice. The pill isn't even effective for the first month, so the way I see it, I will enjoy its advantages in August, and after that it will just be unnecessary. I really want more time to think, and I wish I could convey my doubts with my mom. We're very close and can talk about anything - but sex talks just end in fighting and tears.

I've heard that you have to drink 8 oz of water to make sure it all goes down, but I didn't make the connection about that lowering its effectiveness. Hmm. Thank you for that. It says you can chew it OR swallow it, so I might try swallowing it if it's small enough just to be sure. Do you know anything about potential infertility risks?

Posts: 23 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time swallowing pills too, but most birth control pills are really tiny so swallowing them isn't too big a deal. They're smaller than the eraser of a pencil. If you aren't lactose intolerant, then drinking milk whenever you take it might help with any stomach problems it could cause. Also, taking it at bedtime or close to bedtime helps avoid feeling sick.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oral contraceptives are the most popular and effective form of reversible contraception; reversible means you can stop them at any time and regain your ability to conceive. Many women have been able to stop taking the pills and conceive the very next month.

If you need more time to think, you don't HAVE to start taking the pills after you start your period. This is just typically recommended because it makes them effective sooner and keeps you more "on track" as to your natural cycle. You can start taking BCP's anytime, but you must back up for the full month plus expect some breakthrough bleeding/spotting.

Are you sure your mom won't budge? You could try saying something like:

"I know that you're concerned about me being protected, and I respect your desire for me to be using a secondary method to be perfectly safe. But, I'm a little worried about using the pill, since I've heard not only from you, but others about the side effects. Can we talk about choosing another, or going back to the gyn to discuss my options?"

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.