Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Missed a couple pills... how long?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed a couple pills... how long?
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually take my birth control between 10:00 and 11:00 in the morning... sometimes I've been taking it as early as 8.

Twice within a one week period, I forgot to take my birth control because I had to be to work at 9 0r 10:00 in the morning. Around 11 I'd remember, I'd take it as soon as I got home (5:00) and then took my next pill at around 10 the next morning (at my usual time)

If I continue to take my pills at roughly the same time, how long will it be until it's up to its "maximum effectiveness?" I've got a week left on this pack, so will it be another whole pack until it's the most effectiveness?

I've been working at such odd times... I'm also off to yearbook camp in a few days... they want you to be up at 7:30... I'd love to change the time to something constant (6:00 pm was what I origionally wanted, but I've sometimes not home at 6:00 and my mom had a problem with that) but my mom wants me to take it as soon as I get up, which is starting to drive me loony, because I don't want to be taking it too early (7:00) and then the next morning sleep in until 11:00.

Thank you.

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a three hours window to take your pill eveyday so taking it at 8 o'clock instead of 10 o'clock isn't likely to make a big difference.

But missing pills does. Missing one can be okay but two or three, it can make a difference.

Check your pill packaging. With most pills if you miss more than two or three doses, you need to disgard the rest of the pack and begin a new one immediately. If you do not have your insert or it is not clear in its instructions then you need to call your health care provider or pharmacist ASAP to ask for instructions.

I'd also say use a back-up method for the rest of this cycle. It should cover whatever risk you've opened yourself up for this cycle, and give your body enough time to get back on track. On your next pack, you should be fine as for effectivness.

If you have problem with taking you pill on time everyday, maybe you should seek another birth control method, one that is easier for you.

[ 08-11-2006, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. It said that if you miss a pill, take two the next day... and you can do that up to two times I do believe. I didn't skip taking a pill, I just took it later and continued taking it at my normal time, so that's why I was unsure.
Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you start your next new pack, you can consider being at max effectiveness from day one of that pack.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.