Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Insurrance and Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insurrance and Birth Control
Sanguine008
Neophyte
Member # 36994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sanguine008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to start using hormonal birth control but I'm afraid that if I go to the doctor to get it that my parents would find out via insurrance billing or something like that.
Could they?

Posts: 4 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. If you are using your parents' insurance, they will be able to tell from the bills.

So you can either talk to your parents about this honestly and let them know that you want to start using birth control, or you can pay out of your own pocket. If you want to go with the latter option, you may want to look into clinics such as Planned Parenthood where you can sometimes be charged on a sliding scale.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom's insurance was actually really good about confidentiality, and I could visit the doctor at any time, buy my own prescriptions etc just as long as I paid the co-pay. The insurance took care of the rest.

I'd recommend you call the member services number on your health card and ask them directly. Also call the doctor's office you plan to go to to ask about their billing practices. :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamonds4lucy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamonds4lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way my insurance works is that I have my own card that I present to the pharmacist when I have my prescription filled or to the doctor when I have an appointment; I then pay the co-pay in cash. I don't know what, if anything, shows up on a bill.

Lauren is right- you should call the member services number and ask.

--------------------
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams.

Help Support Scarleteen!

Posts: 446 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what your insurance is, if you use it at the doctor's office, the primary person on the insurance (your parents, in this case) will get a statement indicating that charges have been made to the insurance. It will not list specifically what you have been seen for, only that you have been to X office. If any tests are done, it will list that tests have been done (not specifics though generally). The statement (called an E.O.B.) will list the total charges for the visit, what you paid, what the insurance paid, and what (if anything) is still left to be paid. An E.O.B. is not a bill, (if you have charges left to be paid, you'll be billed through your doctor's office for those) but it will say what how much it was and what they are sending back to your doctor's office. Different insurance companies deal with prescriptions differently...some don't ever send statements regarding prescription charges, others send a record at the end of the year listing all of the prescription charges made by anyone covered on that policy in your family.

If you absolutely do not want your parents to even know that you were seen by a doctor, you should not use the insurance. By law insurance companies have to send EOB's so that the person paying the insurance knows what charges have been made against their policy (this is to prevent things accidentally being charged to the wrong policy and nobody noticing). They won't know exactly what you were seen for, but they'll know you were there. You can call the 1-800 number on the back of your insurance card for specific information about exactly what will be sent and for info on how the prescription thing works. If cost is an issue, you can go to Planned Parenthood or another similar-type clinic where they might have a sliding scale, thus lowering your cost.

[ 02-16-2008, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.