Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condoms. Pregnancy. Who's it happened to?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms. Pregnancy. Who's it happened to?
Jayce
Neophyte
Member # 28694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, condoms are only safe if you use them wisely, and probably 98% of those folks out there who use condoms and have gotten pregnant because of it probably haven't used them right, whether it be they pushed in when the condom wasn't lubricated (big no no), or that the condom broke and they didn't check it, etc.

Just curious to see what kind of answers we get. Has anybody had any pregnancy stories, whether with them or close friends, even though they have used condoms?

Posts: 6 | From: East Coast | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be an auntie in a few weeks to my younger sister's baby.

Her and her boyfriend claim that they were using a condom absolutely correct, but I don't believe them. She confessed that neither of them had any clue how to use a condom, and he looked up a tutorial online 5 minutes before sex.

Of course, even that is sketchy to me, since she says the condom didn't break. In short, I think that a good majority of people who get pregnant lay the blame on a supposedly "faulty method" in order to shift the responsibility onto something other than themselves. And since the condom is the most popular and accessible, it's the easiest to target.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend who's mother decided to be really cruel in a party for adults. She put condoms in piñatas and pierced holes in them with a needle. Apparently, 2 pregnancies came out of that. She said that she just wanted to check who was dumb enough to use a condom from a piñata and not check it! Guess you're right; if they would have checked the condoms, the girls wouldn't have gotten pregnant.

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, playing a dirty trick like poking holes in condoms is not anyone's fault but the instigator. Pin sized holes can be really, really hard to detect.

But, that still brings me back to the fact that people should be responsible enough to purchase high-quality condoms.. not just pick them up off the floor at a party.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayce
Neophyte
Member # 28694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aaaaaaahahahaa. I'm sorry but that's so wrong, yet so funny. Hell, whenever people get condoms at my girlfriend's college, they just blow them up and tape them to the wall like balloons. Her and her roommate are like sisters, just crazy, it's funny walking in and seeing all different colored condoms.

But one thing I got in the habit of doing, and maybe you guys can start this yourself, if even if you bought the condoms yourself and you know nobody else has had access to them in your hiding place, before I open it I pinch it. Because the packaging is sealed. If you pinch it, you can feel the air bubble in it. If the air bubble decreases in size, throw that **** out. Obviously, it shouldn't, but it's another precautionary method I use. Don't know why I even started that, but it's just common sense to me.

Posts: 6 | From: East Coast | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lauren:
But, that still brings me back to the fact that people should be responsible enough to purchase high-quality condoms.. not just pick them up off the floor at a party.

That's exactly what my friend's mother was trying to prove.

My mother gave me a tip the other day. If you really want to make sure that a condom has a hole in it or not, blow it up after you have sex. If you can blow it up, it was ok (if it would have had a hole, you would have had a seriously hard time blowing it up).

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except blowing up a used condom could have serious STI consequences, considering any oral contact with bodily fluids can present risks. So, actually....BAD idea.

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, it's better to fill them with water from the tap (then wipe the tap off with one of those sanitizing wipes) and see if the condoms leak.

as for giving faulty condoms to friends, that's not a friendly gesture at all -- it's horribly irresponsible!

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayce
Neophyte
Member # 28694

I only blew the condom up when we were COMPLETELY done. I mean, like my pants were already on when I'd blow air into it to see. At that point she's probably in the shower or sound asleep...
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...while she's asleep, her bodily fluids are still on the condom. So, I don't see why that would make a difference...? STIs are transmitted as easily orally as they are genitally.

Like what Gumdrop Girl suggested, there are other ways of telling if a condom is defective: ones that don't present STI risks.

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zachs lil Lady26
Neophyte
Member # 28905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachs lil Lady26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talk to a counselor. A couple of weeks ago, we were talking about sex. She said that her best friend had sex with her boyfriend with a condom, but it broke and they never knew it. She ended up pregnant. It's pretty scary how even when you're trying to be safe, you can still end up with consequences.

--------------------
Jamie & Zachary
September 26, 2003-forever

"She loved him like no one before and it was good to be alive."

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a condom breaks, it shreds. A good example is thinking of a popped balloon--it's in tatters. This is why we highly recommend using condom-safe lube, because it can help prevent that.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.