Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » 72-hour pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 72-hour pill
angelsface
Activist
Member # 27822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelsface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the pill, but i'm worried i haven't been taking it correctly, meaning not at the exact same time every day.. just when i go to bed, so the times can vary. Would it be safe for me to take the 72-hour pill after having sex, JUST to be 100% sure that i won't get pregnant? or is there some sort of reason not to take both??? And for those of who that have used it, what was it like? did you get sick afterwards?
Thanks in advance for your answers!

Posts: 114 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be much more effective to use condoms as a back-up to the pill.

Used correctly, condoms provide much more protection against pregnancy than emergency contraception does (as well as providing protection against STIs). And emergency contraception isn't designed for regular use.

Obviously, if you want maximum protection, you need to start taking the pill at the same time each day - half an hour or so won't matter, but if you're taking it at 9 one night and 2 am the next, for example, you could indeed be reducing its effectiveness.

By the way, emergency contraception can actually be effective as late as 100 hours after sex (although the sooner you take it the more likely it will be effective), so referring to it as the 72-hour pill is a bit misleading.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelsface
Activist
Member # 27822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelsface     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally understand. I know that condoms are the safest way to go, but i'm wondering if i had sex without a condom, would it be safe to use the emergency contraceptive even though i was on birth control?
i'm making a concious effort to take my BC at the same time every day, but i just want to be sure i can have sex without a condom, be on birth control, possibly take the EC and not get pregnant.

Posts: 114 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be safe, but if you're on the pill, you really don't need to take EC--and it would be unfeasible to take it after every time you have sex, as it would be costly and EC is not designed to be used that regularly. As logic_grrl told you, it's (obviously) better to take your pill correctly instead of taking it incorrectly and then worrying about the risk you're incurring by doing so.

Most BC pills have a 2-3 hour window in which you can take them each day and still regard them as being fully effective. I think you're worrying too much here about what risk you may have taken.

Also, when I took EC I experienced no side effects at all. Some report mild nausea at worst.

[ 03-27-2006, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: faifai ]

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i just want to be sure i can have sex without a condom
We're really not going to advocate that here, especially since in this case, it not only means you don't have any STI protection, it increases the risk of pregnancy.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you haven't done this yet - you're planning it for the future. It's really not cool to be planning to put yourself at risk like this.

If you're planning ahead, then you can plan to use a condom.

If you really want to avoid using a condom, then your best option is to take your birth control as consistently as you can and ensure that both you and your partner are monogamous and have been screened for STIs.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelsface
Activist
Member # 27822

we've both been tested and we're clean...
but thanks for the lecture, and the quick judgements.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, angelsface, logic_grrl was only being sure you aware that we, in general, DO recommend you do not use condoms if you are not monogomous and have both been fully screened for STIs.

There was a misunderstanding, logic_grrl herself said she may have been misunderstanding you, and they do happen, but we don't say it to lecture or be judgemental, it's just that the majority of people who come here asking about birth control AREN'T considering the STI risks as well and haven't been tested and especially for teens, STIs should be a much larger concern than pregnancy only. Make sense?

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SOMEBODY
Activist
Member # 17368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SOMEBODY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a pregnancy scare two days ago becuse I had only been taking BC for 4 days and he ejaculated inside of me. This happened Sunday and Monday morning I went to a planned parenthood clinic and got some emergency contracepcion. It cost me $20 which wasnt that bad. I took both the pills at the same time and I was really scared for the side effects. I was lucky and didnt get any side effects! As for the BC, I was advised to continue taking it as usual at the same time, and so far ive been feeling okay. So I dont think that taking EC and BC should affect you as long as you are careful. Well girly, hope I helped! :-)

--------------------
somebody

Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelsface
Activist
Member # 27822

thanks so much! you totally did

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.