Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Can i shed this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can i shed this
NiceGurlT
Activist
Member # 20916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiceGurlT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Planned parenthood site and it said that some people can shed the herpes simplex-1 virus(cold sores) and i wanted to know if that was true because i suffer from cold sores that hurt really bad and irratate the crap out of me and i want it to go away.I usually get one every month or every other month this month was crazy cause i got it twice this month and im so mad.So is that true and if there is a medicated medicine i can use cause herpincine L is not working for me and abreva couse to much for such a small tube.$24.50 wow is all i can say
Posts: 78 | From: bk ny | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, shedding that sort of virus can take years, if it can happen for you.

In the meantime, you will want to find some solutions.

Preventing outbreaks is often VERY much helped by changing your lifestyle to simply be as healthy as you can, so your immune system stays working to fight them off.

As well, talk to your doctor: there are excellent medications for Herpes available to help reduce outbreaks.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I'm not sure that by "shedding" they meant getting rid of the virus.

quote:
From webmd
When it's active, it travels to the surface of the infected area (skin or mucous membrane) and makes copies of itself. This is called "shedding" because these new viruses can, at this time, rub off on another person.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erin E
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 27421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erin E     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

Just wanted to clarify what they meant by shedding. When you have any herpes viruses (either on the lips or in the genitals) there are times when you get visible sores and other times when you don't have sores, but you can still pass the virus if you have contact with somebody (i.e. kissing or vaginal touching). This happens because the virus can replicate below the skin without any visible signs and literally rub off on somebody.

Once you have been infected with herpes, you can never 'cure' it. However, most people have fewer and fewer outbreaks as time goes on.

Also, I feel like I should tell you that if you have lesions on your mouth or are shedding in the mouth area, the virus can be passed to the vaginal area of another with oral sex.

As far as reducing outbreaks, they do have medications but they are expensive if you don't have insurance. Most people can link their outbreaks - especially on the mouth - to stress. I would recommend working on stress reduction techniques. Exercise, healthy diet, etc. can help with this.

[ 03-23-2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Erin E ]

Posts: 77 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.