Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Spermicidal condoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spermicidal condoms?
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, everybody! I've been in a great relationship for a year now, and I don't plan on having sex in the near future, but I've been doing my research. I do have a question though. What is everyone's opinions on spermicidal lubricated condoms? Do they actually work, or would a normal lubricated condom be just as safe? I want to be as prepared as possible when the time does arrive, plus I'm just curious. [Big Grin]

[ 05-04-2006, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Faith54 ]

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't enough spermicide on a spermicidal condom to kill the amount of sperm that would be present should a condom fail. As well, spermicide is basically dish soap - it tends not to be very nice to delicate genital tissue, and can cause little abrasions on the tissue that make transmission of infections easier.

Your best bet is going to be a non-spermicidal condom with lots of water-based, condom-safe lube like Astroglide or KY. Using a condom that's already lubricated is fine, but the amount of lube on a lubricated condom usually isn't enough to be much help. Extra lube is a Very Good Idea; it helps prevent condom breakage and makes things a lot more comfy for everyone involved.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayce
Neophyte
Member # 28694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On spermicidal condoms, is there any spermicidal lubricant inside the condom? If there is, I can see it killing off what sperm is in the precum. That way if you're like me and you pull out even if you have a condom on, what sperm that could of been inside the condom would more than likely be killed off.
Posts: 6 | From: East Coast | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jayce, to let you know pulling out w/ condoms is kinda frowned upon around here- not needed, and more likely for the condom to slip.. [Smile]

dunno about it inside though, granted as i've never needed to know :-O :-P

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayce
Neophyte
Member # 28694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. I hold the base of the condom as I pulled out. But as I remember even when I was finished, the base of the condom was still pretty stuck against the shaft, so I doubt that particular situation it would of slipped off.

And I don't really care if someone frowns to my precautionary methods. It's something I practice so I'm more at ease in my mind.

Posts: 6 | From: East Coast | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.