Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Couple of 'technical' questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couple of 'technical' questions
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I've heard that flavoured condoms should not be used for intercourse, only for oral or manual sex, since they do not provide protection from pregnancy or STDs. Is this true?

And secondly, a very 'practical' doubt... is lubricant edible?

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the reason most flavored condoms should not be used for intercourse is ebcause the lubricant is made with sugary ignredients that shouldn't be in a woman's vagina because they can cause yeast infections and other problems. (Some flavored lubricants are actually made from different ingredients)

IF flavored condoms didn't protect from pregnancy or STDs, they'd also be completely ineffective for oral sex, since the lack of protection would have to mean they let fluids through. So that's a lie, but it's still a better bet to use a normal condom for intercourse, rather than messing with a flavored one.

As far as I know most water-based lubricants are not dangerous if ingested. I'm taking this information from an online drug store search I did that lists product warnings. If you want to know about any specific lubricant, however, any you can purchase SHOULD have a full ingredient and direction and warning lable; the warning lable will explain what to do if ingested, if there is harm at all.

((Posted at the same time! ))

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 08-07-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many flavored condoms are okay for use during sexual intercourse. They are simply regular latex condoms with sweet goo on them. They prevent pregnancy and STDs as well as other latex condoms. The only catch is that you need to ensure that the lubricant is sugar-free. Sugar in lube can promote yeast infections. many lubes are artifically sweetened, and those should be okay. But no sugar!

As for edible lube, yes, edible lube exists. Flavored lubes are edible and condom-safe. Even non-flavored lubes tend to be safe for ingestion. Astroglide is non-toxic, which means you can ingest it without any problems, but I would not recommend deliberately eating the stuff for dinner.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.