Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » BC Question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC Question.
StareAtTheStars
Neophyte
Member # 18997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StareAtTheStars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I was talking with my friend last night and she asked me something that gotme worried. Okay, she's on the pill. She takes Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. And, she was asking me if she was suppose to just take all 28 pills and then start the new back when she just ran out or does she start it when her period starts that sunday and gets a new pack? I told her I didn't know. Then the look on her face scared me half to death. Because she told me that her and her boyfriend had sex and he didn't use protection and she doesn't know if her pill would work. So, what I'm asking is - Is she taking the pills correctly?
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CEC523
Activist
Member # 23120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CEC523     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she read the instructions that came with the pill, she would see that you take all twenty eight pills. Seven of these are placebo pills and that is when she will get her period. She starts her new pack after her last placebo pill. If she's a Sunday starter, this will be on a Sunday.

She should be a using a back up form of protection in any case, but especially in this situation. You shouldn't rely on a form of birth control that you're not sure if you're using properly.

------------------
"Talking about music is like talking about sex. Can you describe it?"
-Bruce Springsteen

Posts: 124 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StareAtTheStars
Neophyte
Member # 18997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StareAtTheStars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.. Well, we found out that you should ALWAYS use the backup method for the first 7 days of your pack and that. We have to get a hold of her boyfriend and ask which day it was, because if it was Friday, then she was on the 6th day. But if it was Saturday it was her 7th day.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Psst...we always suggest waiting a full cycle - at least one full month - before counting on your birth control pills to protect you. That's because it can take your body a bit to adjust to the hormones and so that you can become accustomed to taking the pill correctly and to get an idea about whether that particular pill is a good match for you. Additionally, unless your friend and her partner have been monagomous and have tested clean at least twice - once and then 6 months later - then they really need to be using condoms. STDs are a real issue, and one cannot even begin to assume that they're clean unless they've had those two screens. And even with that, some STDs are passed in non-sexual ways and others, like bacterial infections, can pop up on their own.)

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.