Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Planned Parenthood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planned Parenthood
Activist
Member # 18722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 113533     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I are ready to go to Planned Parenthood so I can get on the Pill. I was just wondering if anyone who has done so is willing to share their experience. Thanks!
Posts: 169 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom does a lot of the local Planned Parenthood billing, so while I can't say what it's exactly like to go there, I have been there quite a few times to pick up files and stuff for her..so I'll do the best I can:

Each PP varies in staff (obviously) so I can't say that they're all the same. But the staff are usually very friendly and can help with pretty much everything.
They can give you a lot of information, including stuff about STD's, pregnancy, birth control, and a whole slew of other topics.
At MOST (and this may not be true for your PP) Planned Parenthood's they can give you free or very cheap birth control, condoms, dental dams (they have them at ours) and usually they give you packets on the topic you're inquiring about.

I hope I was able to provide some insight...!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumerias
Neophyte
Member # 19214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plumerias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went into Planned Parenthood just last week to get my first batch of the birth control pills. Allow me to share my experience:

I arrived and there were a few other girls sitting around in the room. It was a bit uncomfortable since we all knew what the other was there for. The lady at the desk gave me a clipboard with all of my information to fill out - name, address, DOB, social security number, medical history, income, etc. When it comes to the part about the income, just say you don't have a source of income, and all their services are basically free for you. I waited about 45 minutes since there were several people ahead of me, even with a scheduled appointment ahead of time. People of all ages are in there. Teenagers just like me, some alone, some with their boyfriends, some with their friends. There were also adults with children or women by themselves or with their boyfriends. I even saw a man in there by himself. So I was called in, and a nurse explained all about the pill to me and had me sign some papers. She gave me a few papers of information on the BC pill, the morning-after pill, and pap smears. Then she had me take a quick urine test for gonorrhea and chlamydia. The results come in within 2 weeks, and they only call you if the test comes out positive. Then they put me in a room, and a lady came in to talk to me about my medical history, asking about medications, my period, etc. Then she gave two paper bags - one filled with a year's worth of Ortho Tricyclen-Lo, a package of Plan B morning-after pills, and the other filled with about 20 assorted condoms and flavored lubes. They take pretty damn good care of you, as you can see. On the way out I filled out a computerized survey, and the attendant asked for a small donation for their services. Overall, I was very happy with the experience. Today I called to schedule an appointment for the annual exam, which is a pap smear that tests for cervical cancer and all sorts of STDs. And that's about it.

Posts: 13 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 18722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 113533     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply! I was hoping someone would venture across this thread and be able to provide some first hand experience. So thanks!

[This message has been edited by 113533 (edited 07-27-2004).]

Posts: 169 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, i also went to PP just today to get my first batch of BCPs...ortho tri-cyclen lo to be exact. Mine was a slightly different experience so i guess ill share too. I went in w. my wonderful friend (my bf is in san diego). after filling out what felt like 900000pages of general info stuff, i was sent to a back room and asked more questions about my health etc. Following, i was sent to another waiting room to sit and wait for about a half hour, where i had a nice discussion about our lives etc. it was interesting to see the different peoples experiences. Then when i was finally called into the room, i had a full exam (pap smear std screening etc) which was an experience...just because it was my first time. Then i was sent back to the little waiting room and then finally i was called into yet another room and given my 3 months of ortho tri cyclen-lo. they told me to come back after 3 months and then i can get a years worth. they didnt give provide me with comdoms or anything else....just the bcps. overall i was happy with the services although it was a little less than comforting. and btw plumerias...if you can afford the services and do have a source of income you shouldnt necessarily lie about it because clinics DO need money to keep providing, so dont skimp if you dont have to. Hope i was helpful.
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one more thing...my total cost was $57 and from now on the packs will cost $9 a month...thats on a $70 a week income
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumerias
Neophyte
Member # 19214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plumerias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't lie, I really don't have any source of income, but I did make a small donation from the little money I could scrounge up. I was simply informing her to write down on the sheet that her income is zero (if indeed it is), because originally I wrote down my parent's income on the paper, and the attendant had to correct it for me.
Posts: 13 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.