Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » I've got the Appt. made.. but I have some ?'s & cant decide on method

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've got the Appt. made.. but I have some ?'s & cant decide on method
wildchild05
Neophyte
Member # 4017

Icon 5 posted      Profile for wildchild05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an appointment made at the Health Department to get birth control. Next Wednesday.

I have been to several sites, including Planned Parenthood to learn about these... but I still dont know. THey just give statistics, I was wondering about peoples personal experience..

First question is what method of birthcontrol I should get, I am considering the Pill, Patch, or 3-month Shot.

*I think I have opted out the Pill, I dont think I could remember to take it everday since I have hide it, because my mom and dad cannot find out.

*Obviously, with the shot I would have NOTHING to hide, but it makes me a little worried. Things like, it can delay pregnancy for up to 24 months after you stop taking it. I want to have children someday, and if it delays it that long... could it possibly delay it for longer, and make it very difficult to become pregnant, ever?
*Also, it last 3 months, meaning.. if I get some awful side affects they are there until that stuff is out of my system!
*I've heard it causes weight gain, and I really dont want any weight gain! Is this true?

*The Patch, well, my best friend has been on it for about 5-6 weeks. She first had it on her buttock, now she puts it on her lower abdomen. It became loose on her buttock. I'm afraid I would have problems with them falling off. I am highly active, barrel racing horses, riding at home, I am extremely physically active.
*I'll have to hide my patches, a bit concerned how they look underbathing suits, do they show?

--> I am really curious about peoples personal experiences with the Shot and Patch.
----> Side affects theyve gotten
----> Effect on Ability to get Pregnant
----> how well the Patch stayed on
---> Pros and Cons of your experience

Another Question I have is.. I shave down there, and I'm a little shy about it. I guess the doctor has probably seen plenty of that, but just wanted some reassuring on it. lol, as pathetic that sounds..

Needless to say, I'm very nervous and quite scared about this. Its my first exam.

Thanks for any help...

I may think of more questions... but in the meantime...

Update Below and Questions about NuvaRing....

[This message has been edited by wildchild05 (edited 03-21-2004).]

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildchild05
Neophyte
Member # 4017

Icon 4 posted      Profile for wildchild05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to tall you that I am a 17 year old Junior in Highschool. I'm in a 2 and a 1/2 year realtionship.

I also wear contact lenses, I read that Patch can cause problems with seeing ability.

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered the Nuvaring?

With all you've said here, it sounds that that might be an excellent, reversible but non-forgettable way for you to see if hormonal birth control is for you, entry-level.

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildchild05
Neophyte
Member # 4017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildchild05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of it.. but I guess I'm not really considering it because its quite foreign to me and I dont know anyone whom uses it.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I've heard thus far are good reports.
Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread has several people talking about their experiences with the Nuvaring: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000458.html
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildchild05
Neophyte
Member # 4017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildchild05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did some reading this evening, I dont really know what I think. :P

I'm kind of overwhelmed.

I'm curious to hear from someone with experience from the shot & the patch. Who can tell me what side affects they got, etc.

wildchild05
Neophyte
Member # 4017

Icon 5 posted      Profile for wildchild05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Ive read everything on the Nuva Ring site, and everything on here as well...

~Can a condom be used with the Nuva Ring in place? Because no matter what BC I am on, we are still using condoms, 2 is better than 1.

~How long does it take before its effective?
Is 7 days correct? I think I read that on their site, but I was confused by the way they stated it.

~Can I take the Ring out while I have intercourse, if I put it back in as soon as we're done?

I read that it increases discharge, and there is a risk of infections! :O I already have quite a large amount of discharge. :P But I'm a bit worried about infections... I was wondering if anyone has problems with infections with it. I havent read anyone with them, but I never saw the question presented either!

Is oral sex still okay?

thanks again for the help.... Miz Scarlet, thanks for suggesting the ring, I was put off at first by it... but I am now curious about it. Seems very easy. Plus with the lower dosage of estrogen, less side effects- thats what really won me over.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psst...you can also ask your doctor about the various methods and get his/her opinion. We can give you our impressions of the different options, but in the long run, your doctor is the only person who will have your full medical history in front of them. They can also discuss the specific in's and out's of your lifestyle that may affect the hormonal contraceptive choice that will work best wtih your lifestyle.

Personally, I'd suggest definately researching all of your options and maybe having some idea of what you may want...but go with an open mind. Don't walk in saying "This method is what I want and that's just all there is to it!" Your doctor/health care provider may have some suggestions based upon your medical history and your lifestyle. Let them at least make those suggestions.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWholeNewWorld
Neophyte
Member # 8220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AWholeNewWorld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own experience with Depo (3 month shot) has been very positive. I have been on it for 2 years now. The only side effect I had was for the first couple months my period was a bit irregular (10 days straight but very light and no cramps). Since then I've gone 1 1/2 years without a period and don't miss it in the least!! I've gained about 10 pounds but can't blame that on the Depo, gotta watch the diet and exercise. Everyone reacts to Depo (or any medication) differently, but just wanted to let you know this woman's positive experience My only complaint is that my health insurance doesn't cover Depo but covers other forms of birth control, not fair
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurencsi03
Neophyte
Member # 15520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurencsi03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you've already gone and gotten whatever you're going to get, but I figured I could add this is for someone else's reference if not your own...

I have been on the patch for about 4 1/2 months, and I've never had one actually come off before. They DO sometimes catch on clothing, but you just have to be careful to pull pants away from your body before taking them off so it doesn't come off with it. I haven't noticed any major side effects, and I've been pretty pleased with it so far. The biggest thing I HAVE noticed, however, is that it does cause changes in vision. My vision has deteriorated a little bit since i started taking it, and if that's something you can't afford to have, then I would talk to your doctor about it first before getting your heart set on it. I found that placing it on my outer upper arm helped it stick the best, but with T shirt season rapidly approaching, I've taken to putting it back on my very lower back, where it can be hidden by pants or a bathing suit bottom. I just have to be a little more careful with it.

I actually have a bandaid allergy, but I am able to use this with no problems. I like it, and now that I get it directly from my insurance company, I get three months for one co-pay instead of paying one co-pay for it. That saves me about $20 a month and makes it cheaper to get it that way than through a planned-parenthood type place because I am not low income. Purchased with my insurance directly from a pharmacy cost me a $30 co-pay per month, which is now split three ways, so it's only $10 a month. Very affordable and its failure rate is quite low.

I'm happy, anyway.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my own experience... My first form of BC was the Pill (Alesse28). Was on it for a year and 4 months. I didn't really have any bad problems; just that the Pill was becoming a conflict and annoying to take and remember.

So with that, i decided to make a switch to Depo-Provera (the Shot). I've now been on that for a year. I love it! It fits great with my active life, and i have no needle phobias either . The only effect i've experienced with Depo is the 5 pound weight gain. But it's not entirely the shot, need to exercise more! Depo-Provera does delay pregnancy by a year to two years because of the time needed for your body to get it out of your system and to start ovaluating again and properly in order to conceive a child. So for me, it's been pretty positive of an experience being on the shot.

But it's up to you what form is best for you, your body and your life. Your doc/gyno can help you out with that too!

------------------
~Jules

[This message has been edited by summergoddess (edited 04-23-2004).]

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildchild05
Neophyte
Member # 4017

Update:

I have been on the Ortho Evra Patch for 3 weeks now. I had some nausea the first week, and seems like I'm hungrier? But other than that the only other side effct I've had is some spotting one day last week. Wasnt much.

The women were nice at the clinic although the doctor was quite cold. I asked about the Nuva ring and she looked at me like I was insane. She told me I was the first person to ever ask her about it, and if I wanted it I might as well get a diaphram.. I was like.. uhhhmm no?

She could have been nicer about it. But oh well. So they put me on the patch. Seems ok so far, although they do get a little loose around the edges.

w1lmaw0nka
Neophyte
Member # 11284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for w1lmaw0nka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally had a fairly negative experience with depo provera. I was constantly weepy and I felt depressed. My boyfriend and I ended up breaking up because he felt guilty that he was unable to make me happy. It made me feel like a completely different person, I am generally a very contented person. Additionally, the hormones made me feel like my internal thermometer was off. I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating and be completely unable to cool myself down (the side effects of progesterone only birth control methods can some times be similar to the effects of menopause). My reasons for choosing depo were the same as your reasons because I felt like my parents couldn’t find out I was having sex. Eventually they found out anyways and were just hurt that I didn’t tell them.
After three months of an irregular period (read: a nearly three month period) I decided to talk to my doctor about it. My boyfriend and I had gotten back together once I got my personality back so I decided to try using birth control to regulate it. I decided upon nuva ring because I am very comfortable with my body (you need to be) and it seemed to be perfect. It has lower doses of hormones, it is hidden, I can’t forget to take it and it’s just convenient. My boyfriend says he cannot feel it with his penis but can with his finger and he has absolutely no interest in seeing it outside my body. I like it a lot although I’ve only been on it for about a month. It is more costly than depo, I just couldn’t handle depo but I have friend who are on depo who love it… different bc for different folks.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.