Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » ripped condoms.......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ripped condoms.......
guynamedthomas
Activist
Member # 11236

Icon 11 posted      Profile for guynamedthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just wondering everyones personal experience and condoms being ripped. i have used durex every time and it has ripped 2times out of 82. (yes i keep track)
i don't use lube, my girlfriend doesn't like the way it feels, but she is on the pill so ya know

Posts: 97 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guynamedthomas:
i don't use lube, my girlfriend doesn't like the way it feels, but she is on the pill so ya know

That's probably the explaination on your condom problems, actually (unless you've been storing your condoms incorrectly or are using expired ones or putting them on wrong). Durex is generally a good brand, so I'd be less likely to blame it on the condom and more likely to blame it on the lack of lube.

The thing is, that when using condoms, one really almost HAS to use extra lube because the latex does not mix well with natural lube. Simply put, the latex dries it up faster. Have you tried multiple brands of lube? If not, then I'd suggest that...if your girlfriend is objecting to the texture, then just trying another brand may be your solution. Also, you should still be putting a couple of drops of extra lube inside the condom to help reduce the friction on your side (that lube won't even come into contact with her - just with you).

Honestly though, I'd suggest trying out some different lubes before abandoning it entirely. Personally, I can't stand Wet lube (there's nothing inherently wrong with it as a lubricant, it's just not my personal taste - others like it really well though) but I'll swear by Astroglide. Try a few different lube brands and see if you can find one with a texture she likes better. I've been having sex for quite a while now and have honestly never had a condom split (knock on wood) - something which I'll entirely chalk up to using extra lube. It really makes all the difference.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guynamedthomas
Activist
Member # 11236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guynamedthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well what do ya know, the only kind of lube we have tried is wet.
Posts: 97 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest trying a few others then. I honestly wasn't a big fan of the texture of the Wet. I'd suggest trying Astroglide, ID, KY (Liquid is your best bet with that - but not the new Warming kind...I haven't heard anything good or bad about that stuff yet, but I'd be hesitant about it)...or any other well thought of brand. For penetrative purposes, avoid the flavored stuff since it can encourage yeast infections. Check out sites like safesense.com for lube reviews and more options. Some online retailers or adult stores (if you're of age) carry little single use packets of lube that you can buy to try out so that you're not investing in a bottle of something you don't like (some drug stores also have these packets...but generally not the same selection).

Just try a new brand. I'd suggest starting with Astroglide, as it is quite popular around here. If that doesn't work, then try something else...generally speaking, just avoid the "novelty" type stuff from places like Spencers. Get your lube from a reputable sorce like a drug store, online retailer, or adult shop (if you're of age). It's just a matter of trial and error sometimes.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 11-18-2003).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.