Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Herbalife + Birth Control = Less Effective?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herbalife + Birth Control = Less Effective?
Clownie
Neophyte
Member # 48256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clownie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herbalife is a diet supplement that some people used to, I guess, flush out their system in hopes to lose weight. Does it work? IDK. However, I have a friend who happens to take the same BC as my girlfriend, Losetrin 24 fe.

She's expecting a child, she's pregnant. But she was on BC, and it's assumed (but I don't really know) that she took it as prescribed.

She attributes the failure of her birth control to this Herbalife supplement. Out of the myriad of possible explanations, could this be one of them?

Thanks to whoever answers for me.

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't and can't advise people here about diet drugs or supplements, save advising them not to use them, especially without the advice of a doctor.

Like all other methods of birth control, even used perfectly, the pill isn't 100% effective. So, there may be no reason for her failure at all, save that the pill just didn't prevent a pregnancy for her. But certainly, drug interactions -- especially those which may change how people digest things, which can include medications like the pill -- can be one possible reason.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clownie
Neophyte
Member # 48256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clownie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the reply and information, Heather.

So, does that mean one could use birth control for a number of months and have it work completely fine and then just suddenly the pills can go awry and end up not being able to prevent a pregnancy at all? I understand that it's never 100% effective, I'd just like to know why would it work for prior month cycles, and not another?

Posts: 22 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When hormonal methods fail, it's not really that the method "goes awry," so much as that for any number of reasons, a person's body doesn't process them in the way that keeps them working.

In other words, the way hormonal methods work is by influencing the fertility cycle -- the natural one, as it'd be without use of those methods -- so it goes differently, like by suppressing ovulation and thickening cervical mucus. But sometimes a person's own fertility system just kind of overrides it. There are clearly even people, albeit very rare, for whom hormonal methods simply don't work, period: whose fertility cycles just kind of are more determined than. But situations like that are about 1 in around every 2,000 users.

On the other hand, typical use of something like the pill is 92%. That means that every year, out of every 100 women using it typically, like most people tend to, 8 will become pregnant: a far greater number than that 1/2,000, obviously. So, it's possible with your friend that she simply did what happens with loads of people every year, and took a pill or two late, took the wrong pill on the wrong day, took a medication she didn't realize interacted with the pill, or was ill for a while and thus, didn't metabolize her pill properly.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clownie
Neophyte
Member # 48256

I see, which is why doubling up is a very good idea. Regarding medications that interfere with the process of contraception pills, would you happen to have a general list of medications/ingredients that may interfere with birth control somewhere on the site?

I know I could just look on Google, but I figure what I get from here has more credibility.

Thanks again for all the help.

Heather
Member # 3

The best bet with medication interactions is always for a person using any medication to ask their pharmacist when taking any new medications or supplements.

But our oral contraceptive page also lists some medicines most likely to potentially interact with OCPs: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Clownie
Neophyte
Member # 48256

Thank you very much, Heather. All of my questions have been answered here. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.