Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » what brand of tampon are you using?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what brand of tampon are you using?
amongthethorns
Neophyte
Member # 3173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amongthethorns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait.. so which types of tampons are safest and which do you guys use? I use Playtex Unscented Slimfits .. with a plastic applicator. I was told by MizScarlet that the one I'm using is unsafe and has higher chances of TSS? Uh ohs. Which ones are safer?

------------------
"When a person doesn't express theirself, they die one piece at a time."

Posts: 21 | From: Cambria, California | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Tampax Naturals.. supposedly they have no dyes in them, and that's good, because I'm not too cool with putting gross dioxins in my body.
There's a number of things about some tampons that make them "unsafe". The first is the absorbancy you're using. If you have a light flow, you shouldn't be using super-plus tampons. Use the lightest absorbancy for your flow, and you'll have less of a chance of contracting TSS. The second is how often you change it. Change it too early when it's still almost dry, and you could tear the tissue in your vaginal walls. Change it too late (after 8 hours), and you increase your risk of TSS. I think every 4 hours is the recommended time. Also, deodorant tampons can harm your vagina's natural pH, so you should really stay away from those. If you're using tampons, smell won't really be an issue anyways.
Might need a Sexpert to check me on this, but I think I'm pretty right about the info. Have fun with those tampons! Hey, did you know that if you unfold some, they can look like flowers. One of my guy friends found that out. :-)

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

[This message has been edited by Sapphire85 (edited 07-10-2001).]

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I use Playtex Gentle Glide, but hopefully with a bit of looking I'll be able to find a kind a bit more environmentally safe. I'm going to try some digital tampons my next period, methinks.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I *grin*)

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just use O.B. regulars with no applicator (apparently I'm the only one!) and there's no chance of that changing any time soon unless I plan on buying my own in the future :/

And, according to the information I typed up for Caro, that TSS information is correct.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use whatever comes in the house ... I used to use scented ones until mom yelled at me for it. I didn't know it was really that bad until i kept getting yeast infections and irritation and didn't know why ... !!

Right now i'm using tampax and OB. I really like the OB non applicator ones b/c they don't slide out as easy (well not really slide out, just move down so they're not comfy anymore ... am i the only one w/ this prob?) and i like the tampax ones b/c they come in a multi pack thing

I don't know about the risk of TSS by brand, i just know that it's important to use the least possible absorbancy that you can ... Which is why i like the light ones

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moving to sexual health

...and I am using ob, which over here are all cotton...because the German Pharamcopoeia regulates that everything used like a a tamponade needs to be pure cotton. Now that's what I call a good law. Such clever law-makers sometimes.

But I want a Keeper. *sigh*

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-11-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I want a keeper too! I'm just worried that a moment of clumsiness in extracting it might result in blood ALL OVER ME in a bathroom stall. I can see my klutiness betraying me at that exact moment. I thought about using sea sponges for a while, since thay're all natural and stuff, but my mom "forbade" me to use them. She has a strange hatred for those sea sponges. That's alright, I think the upkeep for them would be ridiculous.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Natracare, if I must use a disposable tampon at all (which I generally only do when traveling, or when I know I'll be out and unable to rinse my sponges). Nearly any natrual foods store sells them. They are nothing but unbleached organic cotton.

The stuff to watch out for healthwise, folks, are rayon fibers and dioxins. If those are listed on your brand (as they are in most mass-produced brands), I can't encourage you to switch enough. Not just for your health, but for the health of the environment.

If I'm not using Natracare, I use washable menstrual sponges.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 7 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like to use Tampax(the multi pack that lilbluesmurf was talking about). I also like it b/c it's a multi pack an you're basically set from there. My mom and i both use them, and we both like them. I actually like the ones w/ the applicator, but with or without an applicator it doesn't matter too much to me.
Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I used tampons (three or four years ago), I used o.b. and liked them a lot (for tampons). For a long while I used nothing (heh.. yeah, that was problematic).

Now I have a Keeper, and I'm quite pleased with it, although it's not perfect. Yeah, it can spill, and I make sure I'm over easily wipe-able surfaces before I take it out. And yeah, it's really awkward in public restroom stalls, but fortunately it can be left in for a long time, so that doesn't come up so often. And it is discrete (most people don't even know what it is), small, sturdy, and won't run out--it goes everywhere with me. When it's in, it's very comfortable. Sometimes it pinches when I put it in or take it out, but I think that's because I have really long fingernails.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.