Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Morning After Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morning After Pill
Lauren22
Neophyte
Member # 4770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauren22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay here is the situation. Me and my boyfriend want to have sex but we are very worried about the risk of pregnancy. So we have decided to take some precautions. We are going to use condoms, of course, but I'm still scared to death about condoms not being enough. So we were thinking of using the morning after pill. I am thinking that Ill use the pill even if I don't think the condom broke or anything, just to be sure. Is that safe? And not just that but is there much of a risk invloved if I use both a condom AND a morning after pill? Any other options to make this SUPERSAFE would be so wonderful!!!! Thank you.
Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really shouldn't use MAP as a regular form of birth control. It should only be used in emergencies, like when a condom breaks, not on the regular basis.

Make an appointment with your gyno and get a prescription for birth control pills. Then learn how to use condoms and lube properly.

But if you're so deathly afraid of getting pregnant, then maybe you and your boyfriend should really think about participating in procreative sex.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauren22
Neophyte
Member # 4770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauren22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't go to see a gyno, my parents dont know that Im sexually active. I havent been for very long Im still a virgin but I just VERY recently started doing things of a sexual nature. I couldnt be put on birth control, my parents would never understand.
Posts: 35 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't go see a gyno then how do you expect to get MAP? You can't get MAP over the counter, it requires a doctor's prescription.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauren22
Neophyte
Member # 4770

my sister
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Lauren, please do not double post. If you want sexpert advice, then post there. If you want everyone's advice, then post here. But one post is enough.

You can call 1-800-230-PLAN to find the nearest Planned Parenthood near you. You could also go to your local health department. They will also provide you with gynecological services.

Have you read the Sex Readiness Checklist? If not, do it 5 times.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you realize what taking a MAP is really like? I've never had to take one myself, but I'm sure there's somebody around here who'll be willing to tell you what it was like...and from what I've heard, it's not the most plesant experience.

Really dear, if you're that paranoid about getting pregnant, and your parents absolutely can't find out, and you just can't get on a regular birth control pill...well then you better consider whether or not you're really ready for sex at all. Do you know and understand your options when it comes to birth control? Can you afford, and are you able to obtain the products you need? What if you do become pregnant? Are you prepared to give birth to a child, or abort? Can you afford those things...do you have at least $500 set aside at all times to care for your sexual health and any complications that might come up?

If any of your answers are no, then I'd suggest you do some serious thinking about your decision. Bottom line is that the MAP is not designed to be used as a form of birth control. It's hard on your body, not pleasant to take (so I've been told), and is meant to be used in the case of an emergency.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!"

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolitaryTear
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
First off, don't rush into things if you're worried about risks. Maybe just a simple suggestion, I'm guessing you've already waited a while to have sex, so couldn't you wait just 30 more days? If you go to a local health clinic, they will give you a papsmere and will even give you some birth control pills. If you start taking the pills he day you get them, after 30 days, they will be fully effective.

You said you couldn't do it because you have to have your parents, that's bull. You can be any age and do it, the thing is, finding a ride up there. If you request complete confidentiality, then it will be granted. Just be sure you're ready, and please be on the pill and use a condom. Scarleteen recommends Durex or Kimono. For a complete list of recommended condom brands and places you can find the certain brands at, go to the search engine method at the top of the screen and type in recommended condom brands, you will find something, I'm sure of it, and if not, then come back and ask for locations and other recommended brands.

Good Luck and check the Sex Readiness Checklist here at scarleteen.

Sincerely,
Amanda

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~.*^*.aMaNDa.*^*.~
An Evanescent Beauty That Will Never Flee

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm gonna concur with Cookie on this one. You sound panicked, and that's not a good way to start having sex.

I have used emergency contraception before, and let me tell you, even if oyu could use itregularly, you wouldn't want to. The side effects are pretty strong, even for folks like me who know no pain. I felt extremely nauseous after I took the morning-after pill and had trouble getting through my day. not to mention, that one dose set me back $13.

It's a very strong dose of hormones, and right now, if you're young, you really don't want to be tweeking your hormone chemistry like that on a regular basis.

Now, if you really feel you can't look after your sexual health (gyno visits, buying condoms and lube, talking to your boyfriend openly, taking care of problems as they may arise), then please hold off. You have the rest of your life ahead of you, sex will still be there when you're old (thanks to the miracle of modern medicine). Think it through, I hope you make the decision that's really right for you. cheers!

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhotographerChick
Neophyte
Member # 5131

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PhotographerChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay this is pretty embarassing but I need to see if anything can be done so here goes. I have had sex with my boyfriend twice and the first time we used a condom. The second time (this morning) I wasn't even planning on having sex, in fact I was asleep when it all started. Anyways, to get to the point, we didn't use a condom the second time. I'm 17 and I can't get pregnant let alone have my parents find out that I'm having sex. My question is this, should I take the Morning After Pill and if so how do I get it? Call Planned Parenthood? I want to make it clear that I'm not considering this as a frequent method of birth control, just this one time because it was an accidental occurance. Please let me know what you think.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes. yes!! if you have had unprotected intercourse, you have a high pregnancy risk and it would be an excellent idea to get the morning after pill, and to get tested for STds ASAP. call planned parenthood, or your gynecologist. tell them the plight you're in. you only have 72 hours after the incident to get the pill. (the sooner the better.)

good luck!

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhotographerChick
Neophyte
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhotographerChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appointment at 1 tomorrow afternoon for $45.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Very cool. Next step, go condom and lube shopping. Always have a couple of condoms with you, even when you don't think you're going to have sex. It's good just to have a couple of condoms stashed in a side pocket of your purse.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.