Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » "Bad Role-model"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Bad Role-model"?
OliveCon
Neophyte
Member # 107898

Icon 8 posted      Profile for OliveCon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my role-model, (fictional) Tony Stark/Iron Man is very special to me, and has taught me so much. I admire his heroism, bravery, loyalty, and intelligence. However, he's often talked about as a sexist character and perhaps someone a young girl should not look up to.

Some examples of this are his womanizing, and sleeping with women based on their looks, sexualization of women at his expo's, and objectification of women in general.

Is my role-model bad? It get's me down to know that my role model is often thought to be anti-feminist and sexist, as those are two things i'm very strongly against.

Thoughts? And does anyone else have a role-model (fictional or otherwise) that might be considered bad? Does Tony Stark being my role model make me sexist?

Posts: 37 | From: America | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OliveCon,

I don't think that admiring anyone, fictional or not, has to mean that you admire or approve of 100% of the things they do. You can be excited about someone's artistic skill or cooking or bravery but still think some of their actions or views aren't always great. People are complicated!

A lot of people who get really into fandom of various types wrestle with this issue, and there's a lot of pretty fantastic feminist discussion/critique of pop culture out there if you're interested. My take is that it's fine to love things with problematic elements, but it's also important to acknowledge them.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi OliveCon,

I agree with Molias that it's rare to find a person (fictional or otherwise) who is 100% unproblematic. An article you might find really helpful is this piece on how to be a fan of problematic things.

http://www.socialjusticeleague.net/2011/09/how-to-be-a-fan-of-problematic-things/

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OliveCon
Neophyte
Member # 107898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OliveCon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your answers guys! I read the article Samw, and it makes sense. I guess it is really hard for a character to be unproblematic, or even for a person, because everyone has flaws, and nobody is a perfect author.
Posts: 37 | From: America | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.