Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » YA books you love!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YA books you love!
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love, and always have, children's and Young Adult fiction.

Something that's conspicuously missing from my own collection is books with queer, gender non-conforming, trans or genderqueer characters, or books containing representations of queer relationships. Clearly, I'm missing out for no good reason. Time to put that right and discover heaps more awesome books! I figured maybe you'd also all like to discuss and share books that you like or that you'd like to discover.

So, what Young Adult and/or children's books do or did you love, or had a big impact on you? This being Scarleteen, we're particularly interested in books that represent relationships or sexuality in a powerful, insightful or helpful way; or books with LGBTQ characters or showing different relationship models; or maybe simply books that avoid gendered assumptions and have awesome non-gender-stereotypical characters.

Please, introduce me and each other to a wonderful world of new books [Smile]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Francesca Lia Block can help fit some of that bill, Redskies, and she is also just an utterly fantastic writer. One of my faves in or outside of the YA genre. [Smile]

Great topic!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first LGBT book that I read was Annie on my Mind. I was about 14 at the time and browsing through the LBGT-lit section at the library (which contained like ... 4 books). I absolutely loved the book. Years later, I found out that it's a classic, and every lesbian in my generation read that book in their teens [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently read Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger. I thought it was really trans-positive and a quick page turner for young people too.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries, which are 1000% more awesome than anyone who hasn't read (not watched- movies have a completely different plot/message) have ever given them.

Also, John Green. I know everyone is talking about A Fault in Our Stars (which is amazing), but I like Paper Towns even more, because it deals with things that I think anyone can relate to, and does it beautifully.

Perks of Being a Wallflower is so good, it should almost be a requirement for teens to read. Probably one of the most realistic portrayals of teens I've seen.

If I think of any more, I'll add to it! Love a good books rec!

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and really enjoyed it. I think it has some excellent descriptions of what it's like to feel love and desire, and it subverted some conventions of the standard high school drama genre really nicely.

I also second Atonement's recommendation of Paper Towns as one of John Green's best.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.