Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Micheal Douglas: Throat Cancer attributed to HPV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Micheal Douglas: Throat Cancer attributed to HPV
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 12 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if you guys read or heard about M. Douglas's comments on oral sex and cancer.

How truly sad that his statement isn't really wholesome or even totally accurate and I wonder how it might effect people's perception of oral sex performed on vaginas, especially those of us who don't know the biology or the medical side of how these things progress... oh well, that's how it goes

Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not up-to-speed on what Michael Douglas is saying about his throat cancer, but through my classes as a Public Health major and my experience in sexual health, I'm under the impression that HPV can possibly cause throat cancer. Is he saying otherwise, or trying to start a panic of some sort?

Obviously it would need to exist in the throat to begin with, which I'm conjecturing would happen when someone performs oral sex on someone who has HPV by way of their genital area (it is transferred via direct to skin contact).

Not to frighten anyone and discourage people from having oral, or any kind of sex, but it just gives us something else to consider. There are protective tools that exist to prevent STI transmission via oral sex, including dental dams and flavored condoms. So if we practice safe sex- including oral sex- we have less to worry about.

[ 06-12-2013, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Allie R ]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.