Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Rolemodel?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rolemodel?
MusicNerd
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicNerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[SEX TRAFFICKING/ABUSE TRIGGER WARNING]

So, I found this article posted on my friend's Facebook wall by another friend of hers: http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/open-letter-michelle-obama-beyonce-not-role-model-231900311.html

I'm just wondering what y'all think of it. Do you agree with the author? Disagree? Feel somewhere in the middle about it? Comment below!

[ 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: MusicNerd ]

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Posts: 301 | From: a galaxy far, far away... | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this response: Ok, Lay off Beyonce Already
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me, but when I first saw this topic, I thought, "wow, what a great topic!"

I didn't know it would be about Beyonce specifically. But I did read both articles and have to agree that both arguments brought forth valid points, and that this would make for an interesting argument/debate.

But rather than do so over one major celebrity, perhaps I could pose this question, which, while isn't so much in line with the content of this thread, is what I originally anticipated when I first saw the thread topic:

Who is your role model when it comes to issues of sexuality?

I'll start by saying that Heather has been, and will always be, my personal role model for such. Before I continue, however, let it be known that I speak not from a place of no honestly and genuine sincerity. I really do admire who she is as a person and what she has done, and continues to do, for young adults worldwide. It's always easier to simply have a lot of money and to donate it to a worthy cause; but it's a whole different monster to come up with something on your own and then put in the time--as well as your heart and soul, blood, sweat, and tears, and all of the above--to building it and making it work. When I first found out about her, I was simultaneously relieved to know something like Scarleteen was out there on the Internet for me to use at my disposal, but intrigued to know more about the woman behind this movement for not only progressive sexuality, but for a progressive mindset and way of thinking in general. My mind was blown.

The more I read and learned about Heather, the more my respect grew for her. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt a deep respect for people who've gone through rough times and/or a really crummy upbringing, and then come out from all that as really good individuals. She was of no exception.

AND she wrote a book. You might think, "yeah, everybody writes books these days," but to me, that's phenomenal. Someone actually took the time to sit down and put down words to paper with the intention to benefit a population. I took an organic chemistry class in college that was taught by the professor who wrote the textbook for the course itself, and I was boggled by that, too. I can't help but feel inspired by people like my organic chemistry professor and Heather (and plenty others more, but I'll be brief here, as I'm sure you catch my drift) because I sense that they not only know their stuff and are good at it, but that they are passionate about what they do, and it's that passion that feels so exhilarating and contagious to be around. It also fuels my own desire to keep an optimistic outlook on life and to pursue my own interests. Because ultimately, I feel that a really good role model shouldn't just inspire and awe you to look up to him/her--although it is usually how they get your attention in the first place-- but he/she should also likewise inspire and serve as a source of personal motivation to you to not so much as follow in his/her footsteps as is to strike out on your own and find something you're passionate about and can be just as fabulous at doing.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed totally about Heather! An inspiring and transformational role model, and all round extraordinary person, of the highest order. [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, y'all. Patricia: I only just saw this. Thanks so much for that. What a wonderful, lovely thing to wake up to see!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.