Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Your favourite Queer films? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your favourite Queer films?
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please suggest some for me to watch while I am stuck at home with *lets hope its not swine flu*..

I'm quite fond of international films and have been watching a few from the festival circuit. Our local festival was called Outtakes and I loved it. Will write about more about them in the morning [Smile] .

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In no particular order: "Better than Chocolate", "But I'm a Cheerleader" and "Victor Victoria" are both fun and cute, "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" is a classic (if you like camp it's a must-see, otherwise its appeal may be limited), "Latter Days" is an interesting look at the conflict faced by religious queer folk, "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is a really well-done film that deals with gender identity issues, "Angels in America" (another classic) is incredibly well done, incredibly sad, and incredibly long, and "Walk on Water" is nice because it has a gay character but his sexual orientation isn't The Point of the Movie, it just kind of is. I believe those are all from the U.S. except for Priscilla (which I believe is from Australia) and Walk on Water (which is Israeli).

[ 06-22-2009, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: NonStraightAnswers ]

Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add to that fantastic list, I'm a huge fan of Kissing Jessica Stein and also of To Wong Foo. Then there's Velvet Goldmine (which is really a movie about glam rock, but all of the main characters are queer) and Imagine Me and You.

I'll probably think of more and add them later.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers [Smile]

Clearly, I've been deprived and have alot to catch up on.

"Finn's Girl"- Canadian film, main character is a lesbian mum who runs an abortion clinic. Liked it, but the science was quite far-fetched.

"I can't think straight" and "The world unseen"- both South African, with the same gorgeous actors. Played to big crowds of women with lots of whistles and catcalls.

"Love my Life"- Japanese. Really cute, funny and feel-good.

"Nothing else matters" (Was am End Zahlt)- German, unconventional lesbian love story. Not that special but worth a look.

"Seeds of summer"- Israeli doco about young women in the military. Eye-opening.

"Shelter"- US, a couple of gay surfers, really recommend this one!

"XXY"- Argentina. About an intersex teenageer, raised as a girl. More painful than uplifiting but worth watching.

"Nina's heavenly delights"- My favourite. Indian characters, set in Scotland- amazing accents. Queerness not the point of the movie. Really lovely and positive.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaah! Aimee and Jaguar. How could I forget? Awesome, awesome German movie about a Jewish revolutionary falling in love with the wife of a Nazi official during WWII. Both women, obviously. Absolutely wonderful.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Sounds great!

"The Journey"- one of the first Indian movies to feature a lesbian relationship in a rural setting. (The very first one was "Fire"). Just subtle and beautiful.

--------------------

Audre Lorde

NonStraightAnswers
Activist
Member # 41629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonStraightAnswers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! By now I certainly hope you're feeling better, but I thought of one more. I haven't seen it, but Chutney Popcorn is supposed to be really good both as a lesbian movie and in dealing with the tensions of a cross-cultural relationship of a generic-white-U.S.-ian and an Indian-American.
Posts: 63 | From: DC, MA, IL, IS - changes every couple years | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Thank you! I am feeling better [Smile]

I just watched a trailer for Chutney Popcorn..looks really funny with the Indian characters not too stereotyped. Have to watch this one.

--------------------

Audre Lorde

Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few more quick queer classics,

Love is the devil - Biopic of Artist Francis Bacon feat. very young Daniel Craig

Orlando

Oh, and the amazingly camp D.E.B.S.

--------------------
www.criticalmasculinities.com

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched "But I'm a Cheerleader", I thought it was an amazing movie, I watched it with my mom and she thought it was really good too, it's effective satire and the relationship between Megan and Graham (they are both girls) is convincing.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Yay, Im glad more people are posting. I wonder if many of these are available at mainstream video/dvd outlets..

--------------------

Audre Lorde

Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soldier's Girl is a TV movie about a man who joins the US army, and falls in love with a transgender nightclub performer. The acting is amazing (Lee Pace is a genius), and it deals with some really heavy themes while still being beautiful, tender, and unexpectedly touching. I watched it simply because it had one of my favourite actors in a unique role, and came away a bit rattled and incredibly grateful I watched it. I'd honestly never given much thought to transgender people and what their life must be like or why they decide to transition, but afterwards...I don't know. I felt enlightened and strangely liberated.

It's also very sad. Seeing the attitudes of the soldiers towards anything 'queer' was shocking for a country that is supposedly so accepting. The tensions escalate until it reaches a scene that literally made me feel like I'd been punched in the stomach. I cried, and that's something I rarely do. Highly recommended. I'll try to check a few of these other movies out; they sound interesting.

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

I've been meaning to add this movie to the list for a while, and I just remembered again because I recommended it to my Gender Studies Prof this morning: Stage Beauty. Possibly THE best movie I've ever seen on what gender and gender identity mean, with arguably THE best bed-scene ever (much sexier than the actual sex-scene ... you'll know what I mean when you see it). Some day, I want to be in bed with someone and have that conversation. Seriously. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, I saw Stage Beauty a few years ago and absolutely *loved* it... such a great film on so many levels. Thanks for the reminder; I should find it to watch again soon, Joey! [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

[I actually ordered it off Amazon after watching it on arte pretty much on accident, but it hadn't arrived yet by the time I moved away. *sigh* It will be waiting for me when I come home for Xmas.]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know which of these would be available at Blockbuster or another movie store???? I really want something where, while there are queer characters, there are other elements I look for in movies (i.e. action, romance the list is diff than that but it is very late at night)

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey moonlight, I'm glad to see you've found this thread. I've always found at least a few queer-themed films at Blockbuster although I haven't been there in a few years. (I know Netflix would have tons for sure if that's an option/of interest.) They may not have a queer film section per se but if you wonder around and read the back of the films (try the drama and foreign film section for starters, I'd say), you'll probably find some. And if you're feeling comfortable you could always ask a friendly-looking employee about queer films and certainly you can ask for these titles. Not everyone might be warm but a queer friend of mine worked at Blockbuster in the past and, regardless, it's their job to help you find the films you want, not judge you. [Smile]

[ 11-15-2009, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moonlight, if you want to list some more of the elements that you're into, I might be able to think of some more recommendations that Blockbuster would probably carry. You can also always call the store to check ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure Blockbusters tend to carry all of the movies NonStraightAnswers, September and Felixosaurus listed (excluding Love is the Devil and To Wong Foo...but that's just a guess). Some other goodies that you could probably find are: The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love, Beautiful Thing, and If These Walls Could Talk 2.

[ 11-16-2009, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
branphlake
Neophyte
Member # 35071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for branphlake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gregg Araki makes a lot of queer films.

Mysterious Skin is one of my favorites of his, though.

Posts: 23 | From: Boulder, CO | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pluggy
Neophyte
Member # 45140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pluggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old thread I suppose, but one of my favourite films ever is Mambo Italiano - it's a Canadian movie about the son of Italian immigrants who finally comes out to his parents, but has to hide the fact that his best friend from high school is his lover. It's absolutely hilarious.
Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Were the World Mine" is a fun film- it was playing, surprisingly enough, on an Air Canada plane! It has camp, musical stylings, and Shakespeare references...a pretty awesome mix. It's about a gay teenage boy who is in love with a jock at his high school, and has to endure a lot of homophobia. He gets cast as Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream and then realizes that he can create a love potion to make anyone fall in love with anyone else, regardless of gender...

I would also really, really, really recommend the BBC adaptations of Sarah Waters' books Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith (I hear 'Affinity' is good too, but I haven't seen it yet). Sarah Waters writes great lesbian historical fiction; Tipping the Velvet is set in Victorian England and it's about a girl who falls in love with a male impersonator and follows her to London, with all kinds of fascinating results (let me just say that there is a very interesting lesbian s&m culture in Victorian England). Fingersmith is about a pick-pocket who participates in a scheme to steal a heiress's fortune, to satisfyingly queer results.

If you watch any of the above, I would love to hear your thoughts! Good luck!

[ 01-16-2010, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: vshanti ]

--------------------
Vanessa

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe...
I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to see what's missing here. Did anyone mention...
• Fire
• Lianna
• The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls in Love
• Maurice
• Bound
• Go Fish
• Philadelphia
• Brokeback Mountain
• Desert Hearts
• My Beautiful Laundrette
• My Own Private Idaho
• Picture at Hanging Rock
• Some Like it Hot

And I feel like I must be blind and just am not seeing it, because I can't believe it's not on the list yet -- The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68235 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case anyone hasn't seen these and wants recommendations - out of that last list I've seen Bound and Brokeback Mountain - Brokeback is genuinely excellent and profoundly moving; it really stayed with me in a way that most films don't. Bound is more of a thrillery romp, but is still awesome. Rocky Horror is silly but fun, and queer as heck.

Haven't seen La Cage Aux Folles (The Birdcage) mentioned - there's a pretty good film of it, I think with Robin Williams in, but if you get the chance go and see the musical: it's fantastic. (I haven't seen the original play but I'm sure that's good too.) It's a feel-good, being-true-to-yourself kinda story.

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked Puccini for Beginners (and bonus points for having a Hitachi wand instead of a Rabbit shown in the movie). And I'll second Mambo Italiano.

I'll have to Soldier's Girl. I haven't heard of it before, but Lee Pace is just too awesome for words. [Smile]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading this thread is bringing up all sorts of happy memories. [Smile]

Some other favs that haven't been listed:

• High Art
• By Hook or By Crook
• The Laramie Project
• The Hours
• When Night Is Falling
• The Times of Harvey Milk
• Milk
• The Celluloid Closet
• Small Town Gay Bar
• Tales of the City (miniseries)

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh GAWD: I just have to pitch in and say that When Night is Falling reminded me of Before Night Falls, which I somehow totally spaced out. It is, IMO, one of the most amazing, beautiful, painful, poignant and heartwrenching movies EVER. And so, so well-acted by Javier Bardem.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68235 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is awesome, I now have a long list of films I really want to see.

I also thought of Ma Vie En Rose, about gender identity, which I haven't seen but it's supposed to be really good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119590/

[ 01-16-2010, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: treetops ]

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I love Ma Vie en Rose. It's fantastic.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felixosaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Heather, just a quick correction to your earlier list - (I can't believe no one mentioned Fire earlier) - It's Picnic at hanging Rock, not Picture. I havn't watched it in years, and must have missed the queer aspect. It's also where I spent the first few years of my life, as an aside.

--------------------

Posts: 42 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Bad typo, me! Thanks for the correction!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love:

- Tipping the velvet - one of my favourite books/films ever.

- Fingersmith (though I'd recommend reading the book first because it's such an awesome ride and once you've seen the film it won't be the same)

- Show me love (F**king Amal) - Great Swedish coming-of-age film.

- Velvet goldmine - I don't usually take an interest in guy on guy stuff, but this is an excellent film with an excellent cast.

- Under the Tuscan sun - so this isn't really a queer film (though it does have queers in it), but it's a really uplifting story that just leaves you feeling fresh and hopeful.

- Imagine Me & You - touching love story.

- 8 femmes (8 women) - French mystery/musical/comedy that takes un unexpected sapphic turn.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Cheers,
Winnie

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

I have seen dozens of queer films over the years (hooray for my undergraduate college's collection as well as friends who shared) but can't remember ALL of the titles so I'll include a few superlatives below. I agree with many films others have already listed. I also recognize that my list is pretty North America-centric but there are definitely more great films from all over.

All-Time Favorite: But I'm a Cheerleader (I love how this plays with-- and challenges-- clichés and stereotypes. I'll spare you quotes for now. [Wink] )

Corniest (in a good way!): The Amazingly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love (I don't know about you but I find that even cheesy love stories feel much more authentic and dear when the characters are LGBT.)

Saddest: The Hours (I don't usually get teary eyed during movies but I bawled the whole time... too bad I only had two tissues with me!)

Most rock'n'roll: Velvet Goldmine (I was a big fan of David Bowie for a long time.)

Sexiest (to me): Stage Beauty (It raises questions about gender and more in such a fun, flirty way!)

Favorite Black and white film: Some Like it Hot ("Nobody's perfect!" [Wink] )

Not-exactly-queer-but-perhaps-honorarily-so: the original Hairspray (Because it challenges so much, like racism and sizeism, and, well, John Waters is the director!)

Most surprising: Y Tu Mamá También (I love Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal.)

Most recently watched: The Nomi Song (documentary) and Coming Out (Old East German film)

Most obscure: C.R.A.Z.Y. (I'm sure there are actually a ton of people who have seen this French-Canadian film but I haven't run into them yet if you exclude the friend I saw it in a German movie theater-- and, well, the others there, too! Is it well-known in Canada?

I want to see Little Ashes next, and still have to see Brokeback Mountain (because I know it's going to be sad) and Milk (I had been trying to save money by renting it from the library but it's a hot item!)

Felixosaurus
Activist
Member # 42678

@ ecofem - I reckon pretty much anything by John Waters could be comfortably called queer - Hairspray being no exception - and recommended viewing

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

[I just re-read this thread before posting and feel suitable embarrassed for failing to mention Rocky Horror Picture Show the first time around, because that's one of my all-time fave movies. And, as far as Some Like it Hot is concerned, I'm actually doing a presentation on a queer reading of that movie for a class next week. [Big Grin] ]

Anyway. I came to post about the wonderful movie I watched last night, Mein Freund aus Faro (My (Boy)friend from Faro), which is a fairly recent German movie about a young woman who doesn't feel comfortable with her gender and ends up assuming the identity of a guy and falling in love with a girl. It's incredibly well done, with a lot of respect for the characters.

It also reminds me a lot of Boys Don't Cry, which, as it turns out, no one has mentioned in this thread yet! Shame on you.

And finally, I should also add Interview with the Vampire to this list, though the movie isn't nearly as queer as the book.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

bump on a log
Activist
Member # 60751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bump on a log     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Queer films are a big hobby of mine. I enthusiastically second the recommendations of F***ing Åmål, Ma vie en rose, Boys Don't Cry, The Times of Harvey Milk, Maurice and Aimée & Jaguar.

I have lots of other recs -- what about

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

All Over Me

Naissance des pieuvres (English title Water Lilies)

Coming Out (gay guys in East Berlin!)

Personal Best

Two of Us

[ 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: bump on a log ]

Posts: 170 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.