Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » anyone else creeped out by this facebook ad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone else creeped out by this facebook ad?
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting ads for a website called accusingu.org on facebook.

They claim to be a DV and sexual assault prevention organization, but it seems like their real objective is to end "false" accusations of abuse.

They included a list of ways to avoid being "falsely" accused (http://www.saveservices.org/falsely-accused/sex-assault/avoid-a-false-allegation/)

Lowlights include:

Number 1 on the list: Forget about the old idea that rape has to be “forcible.” Now it only has to be “non-consensual” (whatever that means!).

Number 2: Remember that under the DED Directive, the mere “use” of a substance renders a person unable to give consent for sex, even if drinking a couple beers is her idea.

Number 4: Avoid kinky or rough sex.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about this "cause," as well as their advertising on facebook.

[ 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: polyprotic ]

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god, this site makes me physically ill just looking at it.

Under their principles

"9. Family Preservation – Programs must be designed to preserve families and partner relationships whenever it is possible and safe to do so."

Surely they're not suggesting that victims be encouraged to stay with their abusers???

Posts: 243 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polyprotic
Activist
Member # 45568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polyprotic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I do believe that is what they're getting at. There are systems in the States now that encourage this to happen. That includes placing sexually abused children back in the home with their abusers.

I can personally attest that in some of these situations they are not concerned with the survivor's wishes or safety.

Posts: 97 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That site is utterly disgusting and is so thinly veiled. It is truly horrid. I am speechless, I don't even know what to say.

--------------------
~moonlight

I am ME and that is the only label I need.

Posts: 863 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I should be mildly amused that such idiocy exists, or let the sheer horror and disgust overcome any ridicule coping mechanisms I have when the world throws something completely hope destroying at me.

That is indubitably a ridiculous website. However I know plenty of people (my father included!) who think this is all sensible and reasonable. That if anything is saddening.

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.