Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Glee - Sexy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Glee - Sexy
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calling all gleeks and sex education enthusiasts!

This week's episode of Glee was about sex education- and the lack of it. I was wondering if you had any thoughts?

Personally, while I thought it was great that they were trying to include LGBT sex ed into the mix, I felt like it was so hit and miss. When Ms. Holiday said "Being gay is about who you fall in love with, not who you're attracted to." it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I feel like- my sexuality IS about who I'm attracted to. It's not necessarily about love. I CERTAINLY don't fall in love with everyone I'm attracted to.

Also, Kurt's dad, while wonderfully supportive most of the time... He really missed the mark when giving "the talk" to Kurt. I got the gist of "Women are different then men because they have feelings when it comes to sex. It's not just physical". *sigh* He also went on a rant about not "throwing yourself around like you don't mean something". Erm... What's that supposed to mean?

Anyways, songs were great- but some of the messages? Not so good. I guess it's progress.

Thoughts?

Edit: This totally belongs in "Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More" instead. If we could move it there, that'd be great!

[ 03-10-2011, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Bun Bun ]

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazysexycool
Neophyte
Member # 45257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazysexycool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I love Glee, I did also get the vibe that making the choice to simply not have sex was kind of looked down upon. I mean, the head of the celibacy club had some crazy issues, and then it showed people going against the whole choice to be celibate. It's kind of like it was made into a joke, like it's weird to make that choice, you probably have issues if you do, and you'll end up going against your choice. I dunno. Maybe I looked too much into it.

--------------------
[[.play.in.my.band.]]

Posts: 31 | From: Q-Town, Florida | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, I really do hate that 'women have feelings when it comes to sex' outlook. Everyone does, even those who say that sex isn't at all emotional for them. It only convinces women who fully want to have sex without a relationship that they are hurting or disrespecting themselves, and puts them in a state of constant internal conflict.

Calling male sexuality 'just physical' also obviously harms many men, and could reduce their enjoyment of their sexuality.

[ 03-11-2011, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have plenty of my own issues with that episode, some shared with some of you, but I actually think that talk between Kurt and his Dad was pretty awesome, and I don't think what was said about women was what got heard. Rather, what I heard him saying was this his feeling was that the difference between men and women around the emotional aspects of sex were that women were simply more AWARE that feelings are an issue. I think that could have been worded better -- like, they get more messages about that, we get less as guys -- but still.

I have to get through the other questions posted that are here this morning, but I can swing back, switch on Hulu and type up a transcript for that section if anyone likes.

(But yes, on the whole, I agree, some really bad stuff in here, including making the celibate kids/adults look one-dimensional and having the comprehensive sex ed teacher be a total idiot. On the other hand, I thought that what was going on with Kurt and what was going on with Santana was actually very excellently done and pretty impressive.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Santana/Brittany thing made me cry like a baby- and I was working out while watching it XD So here I am, jogging up and down my step, sweating and crying. It was quite a sight.

Heather, I'd love to see a transcript of their talk if you could. As a whole, I actually adore Kurt's dad. I feel like he handles most situations incredibly well, and you can really tell how much he loves his son. Makes me "d'awwww" a lot.

(As a side note, can we count you as one of us Gleeks? Or just a casual viewer [Razz] )

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confess, that while I don't even own a television, and never have, I am an occasional addict with some TV on DVD and online. I will unashamedly be a Buffy geek until the day I die, and yes, I have, so far, pretty religiously watched Glee on Hulu.

I have mixed feelings about it, but I also love musicals, period, went to an arts school for high school, and for the most part, so far, I feel like it offers more good stuff than the bad.

So, hang on, let me go pull it up and type away with that section of that episode. I'll be back with it in a few.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

So, here's that snippet (italics and bolding mine):

Kurt's Dad: for most guys, sex is just this thing we want to do. It's fun, feels great, but we're not really thinking too much about how it makes us feel on the inside or how, you know, the other person feels about it.

Kurt: Women are Different?

Kurt's dad: Only because they get that it's about something more than just the physical. You know, when you're intimate with somebody in that way, you're exposing yourself, you're never going to be more vulnerable and that scares the hell out of a lot of guys.

What I heard, and what seems to be being said in that text, is not that sex is emotional for women and not for men, but that Kurt's Dad observes that women more typically understand and accept that it is also emotional.

Like I said, I still think that could have been said better and with less gender essentialism, but I certainly think it's accurate to say that people raised as women get way more messaging that the emotional is an aspect of sex than people raised as men tend to.

[ 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

(P.S. BunBun, can you drop me an email? The email address in your profile doesn't appear to be valid, and I've wanted to discuss something with you. Thanks!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.